Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

6.0L Turbo Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 07:26 AM
Default 6.0L Turbo Diesel

have read that the 6.0L turbo diesel can be unreliable. I am looking at older F-250/350 and am wondering if I got something around 100,000-150,000 miles that any bugs would have been worked out lol.

Old 01-07-2019, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome..

6.0 can be problematic. If it were me shopping, I’d try and find the lowest mileage, latest build. With a complete and detail of service history if possible. Anything boosted, gauged/lifted, and/or looks to have been worked very hard, might want to reconsider or put it through more scrutiny..

You can also have your local Ford Service run an Oasis Report by its VIN, no cost, and it will report any repairs/updates done while under warranty.
My 05 ran like a top, no issues at all, virgin, other than the turbo needing a de carboning/clean at about 170k. Traded up at 174k, but the current owner has had no issues either. That said, it had the best of care,
Have any potential truck looked over is a very good idea and better insurance of any problems ‘pre buy’.

My neighbor was interested in an 07 for sale by a family member with just over 100k. Clean, and not mistreated. He brought it by and it appeared to have cooling system over pressure issues., or, quite possibly the last person to service it opened the degas cap while it was hot and under pressure leaving ‘deposit tracks’. He was limited on his time, or I would have gauge tested the system to prove out head gasket/EGR integrity, and potentials noting the coolant marking. I cleaned the degas bottle off, checked the pressure cap, and told him to do some extended harder driving prior to purchase, and recheck for tank spills. He did not, and the truck suffers from conditional HG bleeds.. Less common in late builds, but the complete history of the truck was a gray area..
Head gaskets, Coolers-egr,oil, were the 6.0’s stumbling points. Injectors at times, but many were failed of cause and effect. Many cooling system services were overlooked, not wise on the 6.0 with its partnering inline coolers.
Trucks that have had power added, much more at risk for potential failures.

I’ve seen quiite a few 6.0’s run past 200k, and my personal truck gave a great service life under my care, but the best insurance would be to have a detailed check done prior to pulling the trigger.. Making an informed, best trusted decision.

Old 01-09-2019, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Hayapower
Welcome..

6.0 can be problematic. If it were me shopping, I’d try and find the lowest mileage, latest build. With a complete and detail of service history if possible. Anything boosted, gauged/lifted, and/or looks to have been worked very hard, might want to reconsider or put it through more scrutiny..

You can also have your local Ford Service run an Oasis Report by its VIN, no cost, and it will report any repairs/updates done while under warranty.
My 05 ran like a top, no issues at all, virgin, other than the turbo needing a de carboning/clean at about 170k. Traded up at 174k, but the current owner has had no issues either. That said, it had the best of care,
Have any potential truck looked over is a very good idea and better insurance of any problems ‘pre buy’.

My neighbor was interested in an 07 for sale by a family member with just over 100k. Clean, and not mistreated. He brought it by and it appeared to have cooling system over pressure issues., or, quite possibly the last person to service it opened the degas cap while it was hot and under pressure leaving ‘deposit tracks’. He was limited on his time, or I would have gauge tested the system to prove out head gasket/EGR integrity, and potentials noting the coolant marking. I cleaned the degas bottle off, checked the pressure cap, and told him to do some extended harder driving prior to purchase, and recheck for tank spills. He did not, and the truck suffers from conditional HG bleeds.. Less common in late builds, but the complete history of the truck was a gray area..
Head gaskets, Coolers-egr,oil, were the 6.0’s stumbling points. Injectors at times, but many were failed of cause and effect. Many cooling system services were overlooked, not wise on the 6.0 with its partnering inline coolers.
Trucks that have had power added, much more at risk for potential failures.

I’ve seen quiite a few 6.0’s run past 200k, and my personal truck gave a great service life under my care, but the best insurance would be to have a detailed check done prior to pulling the trigger.. Making an informed, best trusted decision.

Great information! Thank you very much. I think I will keep looking for a 7.3L and if you have any advice on that, I’d surely take it.

Dan