Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

another Ford Truck?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 06:30 PM
Default another Ford Truck?

Sometime in the next year, I am buying another Ford (most likely) truck. This truck will be my general utility vehicle to do whatever work I need to do. It will replace my 1992 F150 Flareside which I use for plowing, and be used for towing and, as I said, whatever I need to do. It will probably not get more than 8-10,000 miles per year. Under consideration will be something from 1998-2002, with less than 80,000 miles. Regular cab, four wheel drive.

I just watched what looked like a faily nice 2001 F250 pass on eBay. It had some dings and dents but was easily restorable, and in pretty good general shape...or so it looked.

It didn't bring $6000 at auction. My guess is that the reason was that it was a V-10.

so, my question to this group is, how BAD is the fuel mileage of the V-10 trucks?

Right now, I own a Chevrolet 3500 dually 4X4 with 454 cu in Vortec engine. It is a work vehicle and gets around 13 miles per gallon doing almost anything. The Ford will be my own personal work truck in my retirement, so fuel mileage isn't terribly important, and based on my GM big block experience, I would buy another Vortec in a heatbeat. But I basically LIKE Fords better because they seem to "fit" me better.

Comments? Thanks!

Old 09-07-2006, 03:14 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: another Ford Truck?

We have a fleet of 7.3's and V10's that were used 'consistently' driving across state.. (Nevada) The 7.3 was 2 to 1 over the V10 for mileage..Meaning 2 tanks of gas, for every 1 of diesel in 'basically' the same conditions/loads for both 'alike' builds.. (4x4's) The gassers loaded were slightly varying mileages, but saw not much better than 10mpg empty, or maybe a light load in town/city driving.. Open freeway you ‘might’ see lower teens.. Usually less if 'heavily' burdened, and down below 10 for sure and can even be 7 or 8MPG if heavy . And again, these are 'working' conditions for both mills, not commuters.. The V10 was/is a good work engine for us, but the 7.3 was the engine/truck of choice for our drivers, primarily because of the poor mileage of the 6.8 as ‘range’ was a problem in remote areas.. I really doubt that you'd see much better than your GM, but the V10's are fun to 'pedal' for the sound! and smooth to boot, which is a big plus for some loyal drivers and quieter than the 7.3.. I personally wouldn't have a problem buying a 10 if fuel wasn't really an issue, or if it wasn't going to spend its life towing heavy as they do perform well, power/torque are better than some need, but you can't beat the torque and mileage of the 7.3.. And, tuneable/programable extra power can be easily added to the 7.3 if you were to go that way.. Not so easy with a 10..

Most 10 owners can’t use the word ‘economy’ and the 6.8 in the same sentence, especially for city driving, towing, but it’s also not a mill that will disappoint …Good Luck..