Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

battery or something else? At a loss

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 07:39 PM
Default battery or something else? At a loss

350 Ford, chassis, on my RV. left headlights on, in Grocery store. Dead when came out. AAA jumped and said battery was good, cuz the little green ball was still green; on top of battery. He said he has never seen a bad battery, while still green indicator on battery was still green. Drove very long time; several hours. Stopped, left lights on, for small amt of time, dead again. I used the emergency start button, wouldn't start. Started generator in RV house, pushed the emergency start button again, and it started. Then parked for two days, plugged into electricity, started right up. Then on 4 hour trip home, all dashboard warning lights came on, ABS, Airbag, Battery. Stayed on for about 20 minutes, then after a while, all went out except battery light. When I would come to stop light or slow down, battery light went out. As soon as I would get going above lets say 35mph, battery light comes back on. Only 16,000 miles on rig, but over 4 years old. The rig has only been out, twice in the last two years. Any suggestions????

Old 07-22-2007, 11:25 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: battery or something else? At a loss

I personally would 'never' trust the green eye.. I've had the battery state be poor and still see the eye, or be borderline at best and still see green.. Doesn't mean that it's bad, but before I'd chase my tail, I'd start by having the charging system checked since your getting a light, the battery load tested as well since most RV's sit for long periods of time and the batts tend to sulphate and shorten their service life.. Could be connections, or component problems as well..

Old 04-06-2017, 12:15 PM

I had a GMC do something like this once. I bought it used and on way home it lit up like a Christmas tree. I was UPSET. The light would come and go. Turns out there was a ground strap for the fuse block and when I tightened it up all those lights went away. Whew. Was I relieved. Ground loose somewhere.