Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

Do y'all think it's worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 05:40 PM
Default Do y'all think it's worth it?

First off, I'm new to the forum and just want to say hey! Depending on the answer to this question I might stick around a while! But I'm in the market for a new truck since head heads just blew. My buddy has a 2000 f350 super duty with a v10 Triton. Been in it more then once and seems to run nice and stong. Downside is just under 300,000mi, and the front driver's side knuckle locked up, so they cut it off. No 4wd till i fix it. Minimal rust round rear wheel wells. I've only ever had dodges(yes I'm a ram man, I'm sure I'll get something for it!) So I know nothing about Ford's. But for $1500bucks I willing to give it a shot. So my question is, do y'all think this truck is worth $1500 with 300,000mi on it?

Old 01-01-2018, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site..

Question may be ‘reliability’ at its life now.
Have any images available? What cab/chassis profile?

1500.00 for a good running truck and a 4x4,, may be worth the bet. 1500 doesn’t buy much anymore, and trucks are generally easy to sell and hold a base value for the most part as I’m sure you know. Would most likely part out for more than that.. But if the truck is to be used as an only vehicle, or longer distances driving, heavy towing/hauling then a minimal level of reliability comes into play, at least my 0.02.

My 05 6.0 was a solid rig it’s whole life, best of care, but had been giving me subtle warnings of a trans issue, at then 174k it let go completely at a very undesirable and unsafe location,, which had it had to be carrier towed, would have been a small investment. But i had the means to trailer it myself, and installed a much lower mileage used trans (1/3 cost of a reman) and sold it.. But had i sold it off with a dead trans, certainly would have impacted my resale value, made it harder to sell.

Considering what repairs you can do or are willing to do as they come along, (pumps, radiator, heater core,chassis items etc, and big ticket items like transmission like mentioned) and of course if the truck is worth a deeper investment. Meaning, it’s a solid runner now, but what would be the investment needed be or guesstimate cap to bring it up to a comfortable reliability? Pass any State emission tests/inspection (?)
I may be more inclined to make a buy if a rig is just high mileage, fairly clean, Interior is in half way decent shape etc. over a truck worked hard, maybe patched along the way to its current condition. If it’s the prior, It may be more desirable for a resale, maybe make a few coins if plans change.. 300k is a lot of miles, and may be a testament of its care, and if any repair/service info is available, may make it easier to pull the trigger.

A good 4x4 runner is certainly worth 1500, but if me, a good long test drive/trans under all conditions, and checked as best i could top to bottom, including all fluids, and make the best informed decision possible..

Toss up a few images if you have them...

Last edited by Hayapower; 01-01-2018 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:13 PM

First off, thanks for all inputs and no worries about asking more questions. I can tell I left a few things out! But I've been working on my own trucks since my first one 15yrs ago, only been to the shop once(not a fan of paying someone 50$ an HR!) So I do all my own work, have the tools and can make the time. The only thing I won't do is rebuild the motor(did it once, wasn't a fan!) It's road worthy and is a daily driver at the moment. Other then the knuckle, no issues as of now. 1 owner, hauling construction tools/loads and a fifth-wheel once or twice a year for out of town jobs. He wasn't a big fan of regular tune ups witch has me a little worried as I don't want to replace the motor. But as I stated it does run strong right now. And the tranny is shifting smooth. For 1500$ I'd expect at least a year,(30,000mi on the high side, at least 15) with maybe another grand thrown in it for parts through the year. it'll be a work truck, not a show truck so I'm not worried about the rust. I dont pull very often but I am in construction so I do haul some loads from time to time. Gravel, wood and what not, rarly a trailer. As for the rust, like I said little round the wells and just a couple holes in the bed, nothing I'm.worried about. Locked up bolts is a good question,I'd have to look into that one. I'd replace the bed as opposed to patch and paint if it got too bad, but the frames in good shape, no more then a little surface rust. I it will be a daily drivin work truck. No rust on the cab and interior is clean. Any more questions, keepem coming! I appreciate yalls input. Sorry, but no pics, I'm.three hrs away and my buddy who owns it hasn't kept up with technology, so no camera phone! Almost forgot, probably 2/3s are highway miles.