Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

F-250 tailgate opens while in motion

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 10:18 AM
Exclamation F-250 tailgate opens while in motion

My 2018 F-250 (purchased in NOV & have 6K miles on it) tailgate opens w/o depressing fob while in motion. My tailgate opens randomly while driving w/o depressing fob button. This has happened three times. The first two times I thought that I depressed the 'open' button on my fob and simply ignored the problem. The third time my fob was in the console and while driving back home w/ my trailer attached, it opened up sometime during the drive (280 mile round trip). Upon backing into my driveway, the tailgate collided w/ my trailer jack and it caused $2K of damage to the tailgate and bent the jack on trailer. I immediately attached two bungee cords to the tailgate to prevent it from happening again.
I searched the forum and found about 20 concerns with this issue. I then went to the dealer and they evaluated, they found a frayed cable, packed the connector plug to the tailgate with dialectic grease (to prevent water intrusion [this was noted in several of the posts online] into the cables to the tailgate.
I then called Ford Customer Service and spoke w/ a representative. They stated that it would be covered under my Bumper>Bumper coverage. Now I'm just waiting for the final approval from Ford to go to the dealer. The dealer said as soon as that was received, they would call me back and repair/ replace the bumper & step system as needed.

I believe that the tailgate, if open while in park and upon shifting into drive should alert you (like doors do) that it is ajar. If you select 'OK' then the vehicle can then drive away; if you don't address the issue, it shouldn't engage gears.. If it opens while in motion it should alert the driver with a warning on the dash that chimes and flashes. The big concern would be if my load slipped out and caused damage to someone behind me. The liability would be on both the owner & Ford, I think if the problem was known but not addressed.

Old 02-28-2019, 11:40 AM

Can you disconnect the electrics and make the TG only a manual opening hatch?
Eric

Old 02-28-2019, 01:21 PM

rswFordRide,
Sorry for the mishap with your vehicle involving the tailgate.
This may be one of those times when a mishap will produce something beneficial.
You have brought up what I believe is an excellent suggestion and Ford should consider it and compensate you for your idea.
Incorporating a safety system indicating when a tailgate is secured and warning when it is not !!
This type of idea is overdue and I'm surprised Ford never considered it since they claim selling the majority of pick up trucks.
There are companies that pay for good ideas and I believe this is the time for Ford to consider this idea, good luck !!

Old 02-28-2019, 02:18 PM
Exclamation F-250 Tailgate opens while in motion

I haven't checked w/ dealer if I could disconnect electronics; don't know if that would exclude the camera system or not. Right now the 2 bungees are working (looks funny, but if anyone asks I'll tell them). Will wait for the repair notice and talk w/ dealer about it. Even after it's repaired, if they don't have a fix; I think I'll still use the bungees and hook them to the interior of the bed as opposed to having them running up & over tailgate.

I don't know if Ford would compensate or not for the idea; I think it is or at least could be a way for them to avoid liability in the event a load slid off of the vehicle. My aim is to get my issue resolved permanently. If Ford wants to compensate that would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-01-2019, 12:30 AM

Looks like the 2018's have the same issue as the 2017's

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/10/17/...ailgates-open/