Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

F250 Sticky Steering

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 09:21 AM
Default F250 Sticky Steering

My 2006 F250 has an issue with the steering. Occasionally the steering sticks in place while driving. Just happens for a moment but enough that it really gets your attention. It is not in 4x4 and is most noticeable when turning sharply (driveways, parking lots). The problem has gotten to the point that I parked it today until I get this figured out. I'm thinking steering pump replacement but thought I'd throw it out to you all. Thanks!

Old 12-06-2018, 04:57 PM

There are somethings you might check before replacing the pump..
It does sound like the belt may be slipping which could be caused by a stuck belt tensioner not maintaining constant tension on the belt at all times.
A lot easier to replace a tensioner than a PS pump assy. Worth checking it out. If you do replace the belt we always replace the tensioner at the same time !

Old 12-07-2018, 01:51 AM

Something else to look at. I assume that your steering shaft would have a non-lubable -Joint at the end of it. I would check to make sure that it isn't worn out/rusted causing the binding. It's a lot cheaper to replace. Just spray some lube all over it and see if the issue clears. If it does, it's a simple and cheaper fix.

Old 12-07-2018, 07:20 PM

So I sprayed the linkage down. Noticed a bit of surface rust but steering seemed to turn fine at idle. Road test revealed same issue with same frequency, not often, only twice in 30 minute trip down the road and back. It only seems to happen when turning right and just sticks/catches enough to make it feel no so safe. The pulley doesn't seem to be slipping, no noise and tensioner seems to move as it should. More suggestions are appreciated.

Old 12-08-2018, 02:59 PM

We always (should) check all steering and suspension components before replacing something that might not be the problem.
A thorough check is in order and it might be a little easier since you know if seems to be confined to making right hand turns.
If nothing definite can be found there is always the steering box to make sure nothing is going on in there. I hesitate on the pump because the pump works all the time and the problem is only on right hand turns.

Old 12-11-2018, 06:25 AM

Hanky, is there a one way valve associated with the power steering for fluid control? We have such things in out helicopters and occasionally they stick.
Eric

Old 12-11-2018, 01:40 PM

I had same problem with our expedition for 2 years.i would lube it with PC Blaster good for a few months. Finally replaced the the steering shaft with u joint in it. Some of the caps were frozen. It only would bind up maybe every 2 to 3 months. Ford pickups,cars,Expeditons are known to fail and not always bind up.Go to utube there are numerous videos on replacement.
Ford mutoco has many videos on fords.Not correct name it slips me now. He was a ford tech then opened his own shop. Hope this helps

Old 12-11-2018, 01:48 PM

Hi Eric,
There is a flow control valve in some pumps, but The reason I hesitate blaming the pump or internal parts of it, is because if it were one of those it should also affect left turns and that does not appear to be the problem. We do not know for sure if sharp left hand turns are also affected since it was not mentioned. Hard turns placing the hyd system in by-pass against the stops because it can' go any further could place some undue pressure on the syst and that was why I was suspicious of the tensioner. I don't remember if there is a spool valve in the vehicle's system where if there is then a sealing ring could be a possible cause..

Old 06-28-2021, 06:14 PM

yes i think hanky is right check the steering gear box i know on some of mainly the old ones hve a adjustment screw on them i think you tighten it down as far as it will go then back off 1/2 turn but don't take my word for it check to make sure

Old 06-29-2021, 04:36 PM

I don't think it would be the tension on the steering box, but it could be the steering box. Sounds like a scary enough problem that if it were not obvious, I would be visiting a shop.