Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

fuel air gargling sound - after replacing fuel filter

Old 07-07-2016, 06:52 PM
Default fuel air gargling sound - after replacing fuel filter

by my recollection here is what I did..

I had two injectors bad, so I replaced them... The truck started fine, no issues and ran for about a week, then I was like - let me be proactive and change the fuel filter at the top - so I did. After that, now there is this gargling noise, like air is mixing in at the top of the fuel cap. The truck starts fine with no hesitation, but then after running for about a minute +/- will die - and I see a fuel lamp in the dashboard light up.

So then I start it again, and hold my foot on the gas to increase the RPMs a little bit, it will try to die with the same frequencies, but because I keep the RPMs a little higher, it recovers, if I had my foot off of it, it would die.

But get this, after it warms up, at about 145F per my Scan Pro II // the problem goes away, it no longer dies, I can remove my foot off the gas and it works fine.

I tried a few things, but none of them seem to work. Also it seems like the fuel gauge on my truck is bad, because it shows a lot of fuel, when it is low. I added a bunch of fuel, so I know it has fuel, but I can't trust the fuel gauge anymore... sometimes it shows a lot of fuel and sometimes it shows little fuel.

I am stumped, it would be nice if the truck worked, I hope this is some kind of a easy thing to fix.

What I have done since:

I have replaced the fuel filter on the bottom, and replaced the fuel pump as well, still the problem persists. I have replaced the original plastic fuel cap with a metal one, nothing, same problem. I still have the original and I think there is nothing wrong with it - thinking of putting that back.

Any ideas ?

Old 07-13-2016, 07:53 AM

You replaced the original plastic fuel cap with a metal one. Is that the cap on the fuel tank? Does the original cap have a vent? Maybe the tank is not venting right and thus fuel is not getting to the rest of the system.
You have a pronounced symptom and therefore the solution will be direct and straightforward.
Eric

Old 07-14-2016, 01:04 PM

on the fuel tank under the truck, I did not replace it, I left everything original, I did replace with a metal on the engine filter, but that also has a venting hole, I can try looking at the one below again, who knows, maybe something is happening under the truck..