Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

hard breaks, no break booster vacume

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2022, 07:16 AM
Default hard breaks, no break booster vacume

I replaced my break booster and check valve on my 05 f350 5.4 gas, now i have really hard break pedal no breaks, and when i tried to bleed the line barely any fluid flows period. I flushed the master cylinder also. I checked to see if I had vacuum on my booster and nothing checked all my lines all are good. ideas or answers would be great thanks in advance

Old 10-26-2022, 08:09 AM

What was the original problem?

Old 10-26-2022, 10:25 AM

With the engine off, does the brake pedal sink to the floor or is it firm?

Old 10-26-2022, 10:53 AM

When you state , you checked for vacuum to the booster and had nothing, did you check before or after the check valve?

Old 10-26-2022, 11:42 AM

A firm pedal which isn't sinking to the floor has to be verified with the engine off to know if the hydraulic system is sound after the bleed procedure which was done. The vacuum and brake booster troubleshooting is secondary until the hydraulic system is proven to be in working order.
He might have caused a more important issue by bleeding the brakes if done improperly.

Old 10-26-2022, 05:28 PM

If H didn't replace any hydraulic components and he has a hard pedal, the hydraulic system is functioning.

What appears to be the problem is, he is getting no assist and that needs to be investigated.

We still don't know if or why vacuum is not present at the booster.
That is the reason for asking what was the original problem that caused him to replace a possibly good booster.

Old 10-27-2022, 02:10 AM

We cannot assume that the brakes were bled sufficiently or properly till the OP responds back. Until that has been confirmed, it would be poor practice to continue troubleshooting the brake assist system. If he didn't bleed the brakes, it would certainly be appropriate to troubleshoot the booster and its vacuum source.If there is air in the hydraulic system, he would be chasing his tail working on the booster.

Last edited by raski; 10-27-2022 at 02:13 AM.
Old 10-27-2022, 04:56 AM

If we know he has no vacuum to the booster, it would be poor practice to ignore that.

If ,,,,,,That is the problem, we could put on 10 boosters and still have the same problem.
Good practice is to correct what we see that is not right before assuming anything. We don't know if the valve was installed backwards or not until we make sure.
We are working with a parts replacer that is not experienced with how everything is supposed to function. We can't go on a wild goose chase until we verify we have what what we need for the system to work correctly. If the booster can't do it's job, we would wind up with the symptoms we now seem to see.

Old 10-27-2022, 09:34 AM

He stated "i tried to bleed the line barely any fluid flows period". That has NOTHING to do with the booster.

Hanky- you are getting ahead of yourself and not paying attention to the basics of brake operation...You are getting in the buggy before hitching up the horse.

Verify that the hydraulic sytem is working FIRST. Then go troubleshoot the booster.

Old 10-27-2022, 11:13 AM

If the rod that comes from the brake pedal assy to the booster is not long enough or to long it can interfere with the correct operation of the brake master cyl/ That is why it is adjustable.

There is no need for us to get into a ---contest when we are not there to see exactly what is going on. You know what they say about "assuming".
Are we guilty of assuming the OP did everything right or wrong without actually being there?

Quick Reply: hard breaks, no break booster vacume