Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

How to tell if hanger/center bearing bad?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 04:52 AM
Default How to tell if hanger/center bearing bad?

If I can move the drive shaft up and down by pushing on it and it moves inside the hanger bearing, does it mean the bearing needs replaced? its not making any noise or anything, but ive had so many things wrong ive replaced and I still have the vibration arounf 30 to 40 mph. ive rebuilt the front end ball joints and tire rod and steering dampers, all was bad, then I found a wobble in the rear tires which are brand new mounted and balanced, replaced brakes and calipers and rotors, wheel bearings are good. ive looked at the drive shaft all the u joints seem to work like they should but I figure is im going to do a hanger bearing mite as well do those too, if bearing is my problem, is it suppose to move inside that rubber around the bearing inside it how much give should it have or none at all, it looks good I cant see any wear other than it moving when I push up and down on it. any help would be grateful, thx. Tim.

Old 03-30-2019, 09:22 AM

I have seen hanger bearings that looked as if they would produce problems and yet there were no problems. On the other hand some that appeared fine were with problems.
Is you vehicle all stock or raised some?
The rubber isolator should fit snugly in its cradle. If loose it could cause some problems. Did you check the driveshafts for possibly having lost a balancing weight?
There s a way to check driveshafts, but the vehicle has to be mounted on a lift to do it correctly.

Some Fords allow the center brg to be replaced and some others require the entire shaft to be replaced, depending on how they were manufactured. Motor mounts and trans mounts all good?
You did have a front end alignment done after the front end work we hope. Job not complete until that is done !

Old 03-30-2019, 10:49 AM

I did have front end alignment done all was good. I have a 2in leveling kit on it. I will check the engine mounts and trans mounts, that never occurred to me, thx. I have looked at driveshaft, weights are there, but again all seems good to me. im to the point where Ill change u joints and hanger bearing. my drive shaft is 2 parts only problem will be getting old bearing off.