Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

New (to me) truck issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2020, 11:46 AM
Default New (to me) truck issues

So I just bought this truck a few weeks ago...it’s a 2001 f-250 XLT supercab 4wd with the 5.4 gas...when I bought it I noticed it was misfiring and assumed it needed a tune up...after a few days of owning it and jumping in to change plugs and coils, that’s when I noticed the 7th plug had a time-sert...after changing all the plugs except number 4 (the furthest one back on passenger side) because I simply couldn’t get to it. The engine was still misfiring and rough...cleaned the throttle body and MAF as well...a few days later the plug with the time-sert started blowing out damaging the coil...and losing all power...I brought to a close shop and he managed to temporarily fix the plug and coil but he says it most likely needs a new motor...or a new head which would be more labor intensive and may not actually fix the issue..so now I am stressed with the prospect of having to spend a fortune on a replacement motor...I am lost at this point and would love input especially if anyone is in the Maryland region...it’s hard to find a good mechanic and I am trying to avoid the dealership because I might as well sell the truck as is if I go that route...I am brand new to the forum and would love all the help I could get..THANK YOU!!

Old 08-25-2020, 12:00 PM

Those engines have issues with the plugs blowing out and taking the threads with them. If the time-sert repair is done correctly they will last but other plugs may blow out later.
A friend had a F150 and he had three different plugs blow out over a few years. He did end up replacing his engine but I dont know if it was related to the plugs blowing out.

Old 08-25-2020, 01:36 PM

Thank you for your response...at first I had heard that the 3 valve 5.4 liters with the long electrodes on the plug which often broke during removal were going to be an issue and I was relieved to find out that I had a two valve...this motor just seems to be a nightmare...I have heard expeditions and 150s driving around and could hear the tapping noise from a mile away and I thought what was Ford thinking? And now I am dealing with this issue...I had a 6.0 power stroke before that started to go up right around 90,000 before someone thankfully came along and totaled it...so I was hoping that I had left Ford’s engine issues behind when I bought this gasser...I am going to start looking for shops that specialize in replacing these motors or at least full size trucks...but still any info or recommendations are greatly appreciated..