Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

OD Blinks, Harsh Shift, Trans Temp Gauge Pegged and Check Gauge Light On..... Any ideas....?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 07:09 PM
Default OD Blinks, Harsh Shift, Trans Temp Gauge Pegged and Check Gauge Light On..... Any ideas....?

I have a 2003 F350 diesel, 4WD, Auto. Not a lick of problems until this morning. As I came to a stop I heard a "clunk". Then the OD light started blinking, the Check Gauge light came on the Transmission Temp Gauge pegged at "HOT" and the transmission started to shift harsh and fast. "Fast", as in, through the gears very quickly. I stopped and checked the fluid. Not overheated nor burnt. I drove for a few miles stopping occasionally to check the trans fluid and it never overheated. After a few stops it started to shift normally although the other symptoms remained. I parked it and let it sit for several hours. Went back out and it drove fine (no lights, etc.) for approximately 10 miles and then it all started again......... I talked to a friend who suggested that the rear diff speed sensor may have gone bad, but my speedo still works...... Any comments/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.