Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

sucking sound fuel filter f250 6.0 2004

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 06:47 PM

I took a pic of the fuel filters that I am using, is that the right ones ?

sucking sound fuel filter f250 6.0 2004-20170618_161214.jpeg

also, I recorded a quick video of the fuel pressure regulator after I inspected everything and put it back together, I didn't see anything off, and all the parts and o-rings are new. I had questions around all the pipes that connect to it. When I fill that bowl up, I think the air bubbles are coming "still" from under the truck - please let me know your feedback.

Old 06-23-2017, 03:06 PM

That is the proper filter.

You are correct on the pump supply line and the return line.

Only correction is that the passenger side is the right side and the drivers side is the left side (Ford's reference point is when sitting in the drivers seat).

I agree, with what you have shown, it must be from the pump (or suction line to the pump) but as far as I can tell, you have addressed everything there that I can think of. Sorry for putting you through all these hoops.

See attached pic of the system.

Edit - I know we talked about the possibility of a cracked cap on the primary fuel filter, but can't recall if you confirmed that it was ok.

Attached Thumbnails sucking sound fuel filter f250 6.0 2004-fuel-system-piping_secondary-filter-regulator.jpg  

Last edited by bismic; 06-23-2017 at 03:16 PM. Reason: cap?
Old 06-24-2017, 12:08 PM

thanks for helping me out, we have isolated the cause, i will check for cracks in the plastic cap, spray that whole enclosure with soap bubbles and see if i can see any air leaks, after that it would point to the fuek tank I think, will work on that later when I have more time

Old 06-26-2017, 12:10 PM

ok guys, I am not giving up.... I removed the fuel cap, filled it with water all the way to the top, no leaks, nothing... and the fuel pump, there probably was nothing wrong with the original one to begin with, which I still have and the new one, there is nothing wrong with it too :- ) the problem is in the fuel tank, I will start to drain it today.

When I put my finger on the line coming from the fuel tank into the filter housing, and key ON, I could feel the bubble vibrations coming on pretty strong, plus the fuel gauge I don't think is working either. I put in 5 gallon of fuel in there, so, ya time to take this thing apart and see what the hell is going on inside :-)

Old 06-26-2017, 05:59 PM

ok guys, fuel tank is officially out, is there some jig I can use to open the tank ? so I don't have to buy the tool ?

also, let's take bets on what we find inside, seriously there better be something wrong with this thing, lol

Attached Thumbnails sucking sound fuel filter f250 6.0 2004-20170626_154801.jpg  
Old 06-26-2017, 06:23 PM

A strap wrench will work. A chisel (or even a large slot screw driver) and a hammer will work (carefully tap on the cap edge to rotate it). Go easy though.

Last edited by bismic; 06-26-2017 at 06:27 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:26 PM

You should also harpoon the fuel tank while you are there:

Powerstroke Fuel Tank Modification

Old 06-26-2017, 09:14 PM

what does harpoon modification do ? anyways, I opened it with a chisel, slowly and careful..

I pulled the insides out and didn't see anything wrong with it, that black pickup was all intact and looked good,
and I didn't see debris in the screen, going to put a stainless strap on that, so that it don't fall off in the future.

So I went back to the fuel pump, tested it while everything is out, to see the fuel flow,
I saw a nice jet coming back from the return fuel line inside the fuel tank.

The pump makes that gargling sound and I see bubbles come out into the fuel tank from the return line,
I cycled it like 10 time and while the bubbles decreased, that gargling sound was still there.

So I put the original pump back in, now I don't hear that gargling, but then again, I don't
see a jet of fuel coming back with the return line, lol...

So I am thinking that the original pump is busted, and the replacement pump is busted somehow different,
even tho it was new.... so looks like I have to buy a fuel pump.

So, again the original fuel pump is no longer making a gargling sound, I can hear it, its much quieter...

But I think with all the key on/off, I flooded the system, so I will try again tomorrow and see if it starts :- )

I feel like I am closer is getting things to work / must be the pump at this point...

???

Where can I get a good OEM pump ?

Last edited by kodiak_f250; 06-26-2017 at 09:29 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:24 PM

My first choice is from the OEM supplier - Parker-Hannifin. Part # PFP58054

Several other choices that I haven't used before:
HFP964 - Delphi
AIRTEX Part # E2340
Spectra Premium SP114 - Rock Auto

Old 06-27-2017, 10:31 AM

I've ordered the Parker-Hannifin pump, looks like its made in the USA, hopefully this is it, for others - with maybe the same problem, let me recap--

Original pump is not pumping fuel, I don't see a jet of fuel coming back into the fuel tank... yes its plugged in. The new cheap Chineese copy fuel pump, does have a nice strong returning fuel jet, but its coming back with air bubbles, no good and making a gargling noise...

So this pump (finger crossed) should fix it..

:-)

Quick Reply: sucking sound fuel filter f250 6.0 2004