Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

truck continually staling

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 10:37 PM
Default truck continually staling

Hi

I have a 2004 F250 sd powerstroke diesel. My problem is that it will stall while driving. I have been to the dealer many times, and they can not seem to figure this out. Any one have the same problems, or any isdeas.

Old 09-07-2006, 10:58 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: truck continually staling

Any check engine light that accompanies the stall? Stall, meaning it shuts down will driving, or a jerk/stumble at low end and stall? What has the dealer done shown on the service docs. Updated EBP/calibration, DTC's ect..

Old 09-07-2006, 11:24 PM

The truck does not stall out completely, but all engine power is lost. I was driving through a intersection after stopping, and was beginning to take off and lost all power . I was hauling a 5th wheel trailer at this time, and was almost broad sided.
The dealer had not pinpointed any problems and does not understand why this keeps happening. I believe they replaced a fuel sensor, but the truck still stalls.

Old 09-08-2006, 12:06 AM

who changes your oil, your self or a garge, if you don't have the right oil (cf-4, cg-4) its a anti-foaming agant. Because the huey injector can't take the bubbles. It will cause this condition.

Also post some more inf. hot/cold, dry/wet/, speeding up/ off the highway

Old 09-08-2006, 12:20 AM

truck does it in all types of conditions. As for the oil i have always used mobile as i have in any of my transport trucks, this is always changed at the dealer

Old 09-08-2006, 02:26 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like a boost problem, or at the very least turbo lag.. How often does it stall, and is it more when pulling heavy, or noticed when empty as well? Is it/does it 'dead' pedal, (nothing but idle) or just a low power situation? There's a updated EBP sensor (Exhaust back pressure sensor) depending on your build date..6-1-04 through 1-18-05.. I would think they would have checked yours or replaced it if it wasn't the new replacement..
The EBP is an imput for the PCM and helps control the EGR valve postion, as well as the turbo's varible vane position which would affect boost on launch.. As would EGR.. They will however fall on their face if hammered on a launch until the turbo spools up.. Most do... And that was a 'NO' on the check engine light during/after a stall??

Old 09-08-2006, 09:33 AM

The engine light does not come on eithe r during before or after the stall. truck stalls only periodically with no particular pattern . It has stalled while running by it self or hauling trailer. the only lights that come on are water and fuel and glow plug lights when it stalls. it runs at 28.5 turbo boost all the time.

Old 09-08-2006, 08:38 PM

have you checked your fuel filter my 97 f250 powerstoke 7.3 diesel did the same thing and i replaced the fuel filter

Old 09-14-2006, 08:48 PM

yep

I just had it back at the dealer yesterday and they rebuilt the turbo, we will see how that goes
thanks for all your help guys

Old 09-14-2006, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator

The Turbo cleaning is now Ford's position on repair for sticking variable vanes in the turbo.. They used to just replace the turbo's, but the warranty costs to do so, has 'somewhat' out weighed the price/labor to clean them, (more so if you've done more than a few) and also the availablity of replacements is a factor as well.. Usually the turbo's are fine other than the sticking vanes.. Which will become a factor 'after' warranty.. EGR valves are also a problem with soot build up.. If you pull alot, or merge quickly, slightly power braking (if auto) just before a launch will help to keep the boost pressure higher and will reduce turbo lag time when 'dangerously' needed.. 6.0's are known for turbo lag.. Keep us posted as to how it runs... And I hope you both aren't strangers here Tell Dad...Good Job!!!

Quick Reply: truck continually staling