Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

truck continually staling

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 12:25 AM
Default RE: truck continually staling

Dad drove the truck home from the dealer and on a few errands. He mentioned that the power seemed more consistant than in the recent past. He said they did do cleaning on the vanes, but we should know soon, because next weekend we are going to be heading further north to go camping. We will see how well the truck does pulling the 5th wheel!

I say he should just let me take it to the drag strip and blow out some carbon!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL!

Old 09-19-2006, 11:27 PM

If the truck instantly dies out driving, sometimes it could even just be momentarily, replace the crank sensor. it's on the front of the block on the right hand side, one bolt and an o-ring hold it in, 50 bucks at your local ford dealer. we have 2 wreckers and a ramp with a 7.3 and they've all done it, all at the most excellent of times. I'm sure it's the same problem, it sounds like it at least. put a graphing meter to the sensor and if it's the slightest bit fuzzy she's junk. oil wouldn't cause the stall unless it was leaking severly and dropped below 8 or 9 quarts, but it wouldn't start back up after time, at least without adding oil. when it stalls cycle the key 3 or 4 times before you try to crank it again and if it seems a little more willing to turn over you've got a fuel problem. there's an in-tank pump, lift pump/water separator inside the left rail @ the drivers door, a driver pump (which is the main pressure pump) @ the fuel filter housing, and an injector pump somewhere over the intake. you need something like 500lbs of fuel pressure to start and the tac should jump to 150-200rpms. try the sensor, i'll check back, i guarantee that's it.

Old 09-19-2006, 11:39 PM

Hey thanks J

Dad has gone camping in the great white north for the next 5 days. I haven't heard whether or not he is having any problems since the turbo was rebuilt. I can assure you though that he will have me typing more when he gets home if there continues to be stalling issues. Thats what daughters are for! (I will not mention that I can kick his *** on the drag strip though!)

Old 09-20-2006, 12:03 AM
Super Moderator

This is an "04"..

The CMP is not on the front of the block as a 7.3.. The 6.0 is all together different engine.. There is no 'in tank' pump and the HFCM (Horizontal Fuel Control Module) is mounted on the left frame rail, and is the only pump for fuel supply.. There is no injector pump, as fuel delivery is done with a HPOP (High Pressure Oil Pump) for injector/injection pressure, and fuel supply is done through the HFCM, all electronically orchestrated by the FICM (Fuel Injection Control Module) and the PCM ect..

This was a power loss correct? Not a stall or dieing issue where it required a restart... In your earlier posts, (#2) you stated the the truck would suffer power loss on a hard, or quick throttle.. Correct?

Old 09-20-2006, 01:06 PM

Had The same problem with a 97 F250, Change the crank sensor on the front of the block, just above the crank.

Old 09-20-2006, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

You are talking about '2' completely different engines...7.3 and the 6.0...

The sensor mounted on the front of the 7.3 is a 'Cam' sensor (CMP).. The 7.3 has no crank sensor...

Old 09-20-2006, 09:35 PM

Just power loss no actual die out

So far since the turbo rebuild, there has been no loss of power or stalling knocking on wood it stays that way.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:20 AM

Hi Guys ( and girls) I am back

I had the truck out this weekend to haul stuff from our 1st house to our new house and guess what? It died out.... Peddle to the floor and no acceleration at all. The gas light came on, no other dashboard lights. I just had it filled up 10 miles before. It lost power twice in 5 minutes. Turbo had been rebuilt as in previous posts, and the truck was good for a few months, but is up to its old tricks. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.