Ford Five Hundred The new mid-sized luxury sedan, offering a powerful engine and all wheel drive.

Brake problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 06:39 PM
Default Brake problems

Have an '05 SEL with 18k on it. The brakes are making a loud squealing noise and the rear ones create a lot of brake dust. Mechanic at the dealership said he didn't hear anything. The brakes make noise if they are hot or cold. Would the pads or rotors be bad already?

Old 10-26-2006, 06:39 PM
Default RE: Brake problems

There is a TSB on rear brake accelerated wear and noise/harshness.

TSB 05-04-07
Some 2005 Freestyle, Five Hundred, and Montego vehicles built between 5/17/2004 and 2/9/2005 may exhibit a thumping noise or roughness from the rear brakes. This may be caused by corrosion between the pad and rotor.

ACTION:
Verify that the rear brakes are the root cause first before continuing with this TSB. To verify, road test the vehicle and lightly apply the parking brake, per procedure in Workshop Manual Section 100-04 pinpoint test A4. If the rear brakes are the root cause, it may be necessary to resurface the rear rotors and replace the rear brake pads with revised pads.

Old 03-02-2007, 04:21 PM

My 500 had 19000 miles when I bought it. It had a warped right rear rotor. The Dealer (Ford) replaced the rotor. Last week on my 25K service, I had some thumping from the rear. The rear brakes on both sides were worn. Pads and rotors were both replaced for nothing although Ford only wanrantys the pads to 18K.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:01 PM

How did you get yours replaced by Ford?? Both of my rear rotars were shot at 30K and I had to pay for them myself....now 15K later I the right pad keeps wearing away as well.....Still the dealer offers no assistance?!?!

FRUSTRATING!!!

Old 07-06-2007, 02:19 PM

New from the Edmunds Forums:
EXTENDED COVERAGE PROGRAM
07N10 Certain 2005 through 2007 FWD & AWD Ford Five Hundred, Freestyle & Mercury Montego Vehicles - Rear Brake Wear

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Frank M. Ligon
Director
Service Engineering Operations
Ford Customer Service Division

Ford Motor Company
P.O. Box 1904
Dearborn, Michigan 48121

July 3, 2007

TO: All U.S. Ford and Lincoln Mercury Dealers

SUBJECT: Customer Satisfaction Program 07N10
Certain 2005 through 2007 FWD & AWD Ford Five Hundred, Freestyle & Mercury Montego Vehicles - Rear Brake Wear

PROGRAM TERMS

This program extends the warranty coverage of the rear brake pads to 3 years of service or 36,000 miles from the warranty start date of the vehicle, whichever occurs first. If a vehicle has already accumulated more than 36,000 miles, this coverage will last until December 31, 2007. This program provides one-time replacement coverage, and is automatically transferred to subsequent owners.

VEHICLES COVERED BY THIS PROGRAM

Certain 2005 through 2007 Model Year Ford Five Hundred, Mercury Montego FWD & AWD and Ford Freestyle FWD vehicles built at the Chicago Assembly Plant from Job #1 2005 through November 28, 2006.
Certain 2005 through 2007 Model Year Ford Freestyle AWD Vehicles built at the Chicago Assembly Plant from Job #1 2005 through Job Last 2007.
Affected vehicles are identified in OASIS.
REASON FOR PROVIDING ADDITIONAL COVERAGE

Some of the affected vehicles may have had direct exposure to moisture for an extended period that may have caused the pads to "swell" and create a slight drag condition. Low levels of brake drag might not be noticed by a customer, but could lead to premature brake pad wear and excessive brake dust.

SERVICE ACTION
2005 through 2007 FWD and AWD Ford Five Hundred, Mercury Montego & FWD Freestyle Vehicles

If an affected vehicle experiences the condition of rear brake pad premature wear (below 3mm thickness), dealers are to replace the rear brake pads and if necessary, turn or replace the rear rotors, if they are below the thickness specification. This service will be performed on affected vehicles at no charge to the vehicle owner.

2005 through 2007 AWD Freestyle Vehicles

Due to the configuration of the braking system on AWD Freestyle vehicles the front brake pads must be replaced when rear brake pads are replaced. Therefore, this program will allow replacement of front brake pads, but only if the rear brake pads require replacement during the same visit.
If an affected AWD Freestyle experiences the condition of rear brake pad premature wear (below 3mm thickness), dealers are to replace the front and rear brake pads and if necessary, turn or replace the rotors, if they are below the thickness specification. This service will be performed on affected vehicles at no charge to the vehicle owner.

NOTE: Brake pad inspection is part of normal maintenance and is not covered as part of this program. If the vehicle is within this extended time and mileage coverage and the owner experiences a brake system symptom or during a normal maintenance inspection (brakes every 15,000 miles or more often, per the Scheduled Maintenance Guide) the vehicle's rear brake pads are found to have less than 3 millimeters (0.118 inch) of lining material, then Ford Motor Company will cover the cost of replacing the rear brake pads.

OWNER NOTIFICATION MAILING SCHEDULE

Mailing will begin July 9, 2007.

ATTACHMENTS

Attachment I: Administrative Information
Attachment II: Labor Allowances and Parts Ordering Information
Attachment III: Technical Information

Customer Notification Letter

QUESTIONS & ASSISTANCE

Special Service Support Center (Dealer Only) …………….…………………….1-800-325-5621

Old 08-18-2009, 09:18 PM

Ours has 27K on it now and has had all rear rotors and all 4 brake pads replaced but had to have a brake system flush. Great car except for brake problems

Old 08-25-2009, 08:54 AM

05 fivehundred with power steering noise. fluid level is good but makes a groning noise but no visable problems. Works but just makes this bad noise. Anyone else having this problem and have any suggestions?

Old 11-27-2010, 12:20 PM

I have taken Ford to small claims court in British Columbia because of the problems with the rear brakes on my 2007 Ford 500. Although the mechanics at the ford service department state clearly that there has been a problem with the rear brakes and rotors, and Ford has issued an extended warranty on some ford 500 brakes, Ford says the problem was solved by the time my car was built in Chicago.
When the dealer replaced the rear brakes and rotors ($650) they noted on the work order that the problem was caused by undersized rotors. At the settlement hearing (there is always one to try and resolve the problem before it goes to open court) the Ford rep stated that the dealer and his service department were not really Ford so it did not matter what they thought/stated. The judge was NOT IMPRESSED. Anyway we go to trial in a few months. Before then Ford has to provide all warranty and technical notices re the Ford 500 brakes. Does anyone have more experience???

Old 01-28-2017, 12:22 AM
Default parking brake issues with a 01 Expedition.

The parking brakes inside the REAR ( Driver Side ) rotor were rusted and came apart. I had to remove the pieces to get it home.. Can I drive it without parking brakes.? I never use them anyway.. That's why they rusted so badly... I did replace the rear pads, and the rotors looked ok, other than being rusted.. We don't drive this car much..! 139,390 miles on an 2001.!

Last edited by coastie1160870; 01-28-2017 at 01:36 AM.