Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

2001 RANGER BRAKE PROBLEMS

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2005, 05:57 PM
Default 2001 RANGER BRAKE PROBLEMS

I HAVE A 2001 RANGER XLT 4X4, I AM EXPERIENCING PEDAL FADE AT LOW SPEEDS. AT 5 MPH AND BELOW, THE PEDAL WILL GO ALL THE WAY TO THE FLOOR. HIGHER SPEEDS YOU CAN FEEL THE ABS KICK IN. ANY IDEA'S OF WHAT MIGHT BE WRONG?
I HAVE ALREADY HAD IT TO THE DEALER AND HAD THE REAR BRAKES ADJUSTED AND FRONT ROTERS AND PADS REPLACED. IT ONLY HAS 25K MILES.
I WOULD GREATLY APPRICIATE ANY INFO.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME AND EFFORTS,
THE HELMET GIRL

Old 01-15-2005, 10:14 PM
Default RE: 2001 RANGER BRAKE PROBLEMS

have them check the master cylinder and slave cylinders in the drums on the rear brakes for leaks or malfunction. When you push the the pedal the piston inside the cylinder puts pressure on the hudraulic fluid and the bakes and thus you stop. if the seal is broken or is weak around any of those pistons they leak when you hit the brakes and the pedal fades and you don't apply as much pressure and not stop as effectively. Also have them check the rubber brake lines, sometimes when you hit the brake and put pressure on them they expand and you loose breaking like, mind you its to early to be replacing these hoses though.
I had a similar problem on one of my cars once, the rear lave pistons where blown.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:09 PM
Default 2001 Ford Ranger Brakes

I was reading about someone losing brake pedal pressure at low speeds
under 5 miles per hour. I have the same problem and I have changed the
master cylinder and brake lines.
Dave Neal

Old 03-17-2009, 11:54 AM

HelmetGirl, It sounds as if you are saying that under light pressure the pedal will go to the floor, under heavy pressure it is firm and engages ABS. This can be a sign of air in the lines. However, when you apply light pressure is the truck still stopping well? Some of the new Ford ABS system have panic assist, ie quick hard brake application and the system boost the force. I know my 2006 Freestar has it (and I do not care for it). I notice it mostly when towing. I am coming up to a stop and easy on the brakes then determine more brake is needed it seems as though I run out of brake pressure. I have found the only solution to be to release pedal and re-apply. I have had in check several times and discussed with my service rep who explained the system to me and that I was experencing normal brake system with panic assist.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:57 AM

I don't belive that any Rangers come with the "PANIC ASSIST BRAKING", but I've been wrong on more than one occation. I would suspect bearing grease has breached one or both front hubs and has gotten into the teeth of the ABS toner ring. When this occurs, the ABS sensor generates bad/false readings to the ABS module. When this occurs, it will cause the same symtoms that you have. The easiest way to check is to remove the ABS sensors from the front hubs and then turn the hub by hand while looking at the toner ring thru the hole that the ABS sensor goes into. If you see any grease in the teeth of the tomer ring, the seal has been breached and the hub will need to be replaced. It is normally more cost effective to replace both hubs if you have this problem as the new hubs come preloaded with new ABS sensors and the cost of just a new sensor is close to the cost of a hub. ABS sensors must be replaced in pairs as a new sensor sends a stronger signal than the older sensor and will also cause weak/false reading. I have seen this issue on the Rangers/Explores and Sport Tracs numberous times.

Last edited by Use Common Sense; 03-18-2009 at 07:00 AM.