Ford Five Hundred The new mid-sized luxury sedan, offering a powerful engine and all wheel drive.

Clunck in front when when turning???

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 06:08 AM
Default Clunck in front when when turning???

Hello all,
Im a new guy looking for insight. I have a '06 500 CVT, AWD limited with 90000 miles, , i noticed yesterday evening when backing and turning the wheel i heard this clunk. It was when i had steering wheel turned all the way( backing out of my fathers drive way). When i pulled in to my drive way i tried to reproduce the noise and got a little clunk, ( had wheel turned all the way again). I checked my PSF it was at the min line, I filled it up. turned the wheel back and worth when in park and no noise! but when i started to back up BOOM there it was again. I only hear it when the wheel it turned all the way, other time. Im just lost. So my fellow 500 Drivers, can you shed a little insight on to my situation

Old 01-05-2013, 11:08 AM

Best guess. Aside from a fluid leak and air in the line.

CV, constant Velocity joint needs to be serviced or replaced. Any torn boots?
Or your slamming by turning too hard, the moving part into the block that is welded in place to stop you from turning too far and wrecking a CV joint.

Again best guess.Throw a couple of jack stands under the front end of her and have somebody turn lock to lock with engine running and listen for the clunk. Keep it in park so you don't drive off the jack stands. If there is no noise then it may be the CV joints when they are driving the wheels and that probably means something in the CV joint is coming apart.

skip.

Last edited by skip1930; 01-05-2013 at 11:10 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:17 AM

if its in the front end im thinking it could be your strut tower bushings!! mine started doing that!! i poured a but of tranny fluid ontop of the strut tower under the hood, it stopped!! they were dried out

Old 01-13-2013, 11:18 AM

but that was more of a binding kind of thud like when u max out your steering

Old 01-29-2013, 09:42 AM

Turns out it was my Steering stoppers!! passenger side wore out and turned so much it made the spring turn!! hence the binding sound!! new Stoppers and its ok now!!

Old 06-03-2017, 08:08 PM

I have a 2006 ford five hundred limited - I noticed when I put my car into drive that it will lurch forward. What could be causing this?

Old 07-01-2017, 05:02 PM

Had something similar happen to my '05 500. Turned out to be a bad joint at the sway bar links.

Old 06-25-2020, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Cj Hutchinson
Turns out it was my Steering stoppers!! passenger side wore out and turned so much it made the spring turn!! hence the binding sound!! new Stoppers and its ok now!!
I'm not the best at describing a noise, but when I back up in my driveway, and turn the wheel all the way, I'm hearing a " creeching" type noise. I had a mechanic look at it, they could hear the noise but could not duplicate it when it was up on their in rack. They said all the front end looked good. So no work performed, but my 06 Ford 500 still does this when backing up and turning the wheel to the end. Thanks

Old 06-25-2020, 06:42 PM

Which side does the sound seem loudest?

Old 06-28-2020, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Johnnyrama60
... turn the wheel all the way, I'm hearing a " creeching" type noise. I had a mechanic look at it, they could hear the noise but could not duplicate it ...
Mechaninc surely would have checked, but make sure power steering fluid is above the minimum level.
Daughter-in-law's Honda makes such a sound when turning if fluid is low.

Quick Reply: Clunck in front when when turning???