Ford Five Hundred The new mid-sized luxury sedan, offering a powerful engine and all wheel drive.

Ford 500 shattered back window

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 05:06 PM
Default Ford 500 shattered back window

I have always been a Ford man and always will, but today while getting into my 2005 Ford 500 after buckling my 1yr old and 6yr old grandsons in the back seat the back window exploded. The temp here is 72 sunny and beautiful.. The doors were already closed and I had just started to back up. Has anyone else had this problem.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:12 PM

Wow! I have a 2007 Ford Five Hundred, and have never had anything like that happen to mine. I also have a friend who has both a 2005 and a 2006. Never had that happen to either of their cars. Weird. Was there any rust around the frame? The reason why I ask is because I used to have an old Chevy Citation where the frame around the windshield was rusty, and over time the rust bubble would grow and put pressure on the sealed windshield and it would "pop" with a long crack across the windshield after buckling under the slow increase in pressure from that one little spot on the frame.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:22 AM

I have a 2006 Five Hundred and this has happened on more than one occasion. The first time the car was in my garage and it happened overnight to the right rear. The dealer replaced it under warranty. The 2nd time it happened to the driver side rear. I complained to the dealer, and they investigated. The service guy told me they found that the window mechanics were adjusted improperly so that when the window was put up, it would put too much pressure on the glass.

So they supposedly fixed that. This morning, my passenger side rear one just shattered again I'm out of warranty, and called a mobile glass company - $165 for the glass only, and I'll have to find a tint company to get that replaced.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:06 PM

I have a 2006 Five Hundered, not on this, but on an 88 BMW I had, loaded with problems, just started to deal with them, same thing, came out of a grocery store, started the car, could smell electrical burning from the back seat area, which didn't scare me too much. Anyway, just put it into gear....POW! the entire back window shattered. I figure it was the defrost element, it had shorted out. Yes this was in the summer, it was shorted "on" as well. Shiver/Shudder,.... wonder if it is time to celebrate the anniversary of getting rid of that thing....

Old 11-15-2011, 11:16 AM
Default "Glass Only"

Originally Posted by dgeorges
I have a 2006 Five Hundred and this has happened on more than one occasion. The first time the car was in my garage and it happened overnight to the right rear. The dealer replaced it under warranty. The 2nd time it happened to the driver side rear. I complained to the dealer, and they investigated. The service guy told me they found that the window mechanics were adjusted improperly so that when the window was put up, it would put too much pressure on the glass.

So they supposedly fixed that. This morning, my passenger side rear one just shattered again I'm out of warranty, and called a mobile glass company - $165 for the glass only, and I'll have to find a tint company to get that replaced.
__________________________________________________ _____________
I am sorry that this has happened to you. You said $165 for glass only, just make sure that you don't install it by yourself you have got to get it installed by professionals...
Ron

Old 11-16-2011, 06:19 PM
Default five hundred cvt transmission

i am repairing the cvt tranny in my 500 and have the whole thing apart and found 2 bearing that need to be replaced .i went to my local ford dealsrship parts dept. and they said they can order the bearings one is a thrust bearing and the other is a input shaft bearing, parts dept says there are 15 different sizes and they cant tell me which one i need or how to determine the size that i need.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:40 AM

Unbelievable isn't it? My 05 500 Limited AWD, I was informed in June, was losing its AWD capability. The Traction Control Light started coming on continuously, then my wife told me, the car would be lurching. The Ford Dealer Shop Foreman told me the system was deteriorating, basically the pump starts coming apart inside, metal filings get into the hoses and things start shorting out. He looked into what they would need to replace, got past the sensor, next up was the module ( also known as the assembly), which they would need to replace, then the pump, then who knows, I'd be up to 8000 dollars by then. So I had him disconnect the assembly. Now the inidicator is always on, but I have a Front Wheel Drive instead of an AWD. This was the primary reason we got this car in the first place. ANd I have never lost my 4WD on several 4x4's I have had. Done a lot of bragging for Ford over the years, until this. It was a 43,000 dollar car for crying out loud.