Ford Focus This compact luxury sedan and hatchback has become popuar among sport compact tuners due to its small size, and available performance parts, as well as the availability of the SVT model

2007 Ford Focus no brake lights and stuck in park

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 07:52 AM
Default 2007 Ford Focus no brake lights and stuck in park

I have changed the brake sensor and all the bulbs. Still stuck in park and no brake lights. HELP!

Old 11-18-2012, 08:33 AM

The stoplite switch activates a solenoid that allows the shift lever to be moved out of the park position.
Some of the things you might check--------
All the fuses especially the one for the stop lights
The stoplight switch itself that is usually located just above where your foot contacts the brake pedal
The wiring to the stoplight switch (plug) may have come loose
Let us know if this was any help, thanks.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:49 AM

I believe we are calling the sensor and stoplight switch different names. This has been replaced. Still stuck in park and no brake lights. Any other ideas, before I haul it off to the dealer. UGH!!!! I can use the tow bypass to unlock the shifter but I still have no brake lights. Thank you!

Old 11-18-2012, 09:13 AM

The fact that the switch has been replaced may have some bearing on the problem. Did you have the same problem before the switch was replaced ? Not knowing your circumstances, you could still check the fuses and confirm that the fuse is not the problem. Maybe you don't want to get involved in checking it, but if it is something simple like a fuse, that's a lot of trouble to go through having it towed and having the dealer replace the fuse.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:23 AM

I would do whatever necessary to keep from towing it to the dealer, etc. $$$$. My husband started it to go to work, let it warm up and the gear shift was stuck (no problems previously). That afternoon, a friend came over and checked all the fuses, replaced a couple, called a mechanic and he said to replace the brake light sensor (stop light switch), which he did. Disconnected the battery (?resets the system?) and still no change. Thanks for your time on a Sunday Morning!

Old 11-18-2012, 09:38 AM

It's no problem at all, but thank you for your consideration on a Sunday morning.
Those stoplight switches can be adjusted , but I don't think that is the problem at a this time. We usually try the simple things first. If some fuses had to be replaced there was a reason. If the same fuse(s) needs to be replaced again there is a wiring problem or bad connection somewhere. If you can replace a defective fuse, should there be one, and you can now drive the vehicle, at least you would save the towing charge. What do you think ?

Old 11-18-2012, 09:41 AM

We will go back and double check everything. Will give you an update on what we find out. Thanks and have a Blessed Day.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:05 AM

Let's hope it's something simple and at least you can drive the vehicle instead of having it towed. Last, but not least, if it's always the same fuse, you may need to get a supply until you can have it looked at and have the problem repaired.

Of course you can always use the parking brake and not put it in park which might only leave you with no stop lights.

Last edited by hanky; 11-18-2012 at 10:08 AM.