Ford Focus This compact luxury sedan and hatchback has become popuar among sport compact tuners due to its small size, and available performance parts, as well as the availability of the SVT model

Ford Focus 2001 SE Wagon overheating

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 05:51 PM
Question Ford Focus 2001 SE Wagon overheating

Before anyone says "Oh no - not again" rest assured I did a search of the various forums online and did not find a solution - if I missed it my apologies. Here is what I figured out it was not - thermostat , temp controlled fan system,obstruction of the radiator fins and now for the rest of the story .

Last week when we started getting temps near 90 the car overheated- turns out it was a cracked heater bypass pipe which I replaced ( really - they are made out of plastic [confused] ! ) and refilled the antifreeze via the recovery tank. For the next 3 or so days of hot weather I could smell a hint of antifreeze as before but it ran fine . Today after a short trip once again the temp guage started going toward the red during an 82 degree day-fortunately I got home before an overheat. After letting it cool I checked the reservoir tank and it looked empty or nearly so. This of course indicates a slow leak of coolant as there was no sign of puddles and no steam coming from the engine or the exhaust. In the past I would throw a container of radiator sealer into the radiator cap to fix the leaks ( I have a couple favorites but will not advertise them here) but in this case what do I do .

Old 06-02-2013, 08:01 PM

That pipe is not the only plastic piece there. The thermostat housing is also resin and a focal point of problems.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:02 PM

find a friend with a cooling system pressure tester and pressurize the system. Check for a pressure drop and visible leaks.

a empty reservoir is not always an indication of a leak. If you had any air in the system after filling it; the coolant will be drawn out of the reservoir with each thermocycle (heat up/cool down) of the engine.

vacuum filling is the best way to ensure no air remains trapped in the cooling system.