Ford Focus This compact luxury sedan and hatchback has become popuar among sport compact tuners due to its small size, and available performance parts, as well as the availability of the SVT model

Help if you can, 2003 Focus with a p0411 code only

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 11:27 AM
Default Help if you can, 2003 Focus with a p0411 code only

2.3 l4, 3
3 o2's up, mid, and down,
new components installed=
new exhast/cat,
new up and down o2
new injectors
new coil's

Now i have a 411, error, but all components check out and work at cold start up, but the secondary air system only runs for about 10-15 seconds and then cuts out,

My question is the Mid o2, the one right in the middle of the cat (BLUE end), this is the sensor that detects the the air flow, and has not been replaced, i did remove it and tested it, and with a torch on it it read.98 volts, take the torch away, it reads .01 volts so it seem like it is working

Now the problem seems to only happen, while driving the car and no at startup, which to me seems to contradict the purpose of the secondary system, which is to only to add air at startup..

please any help will be appreciated

Old 01-01-2016, 05:55 PM

Late model o2 sensors have heater circuits to speed up temp operating range. Sometimes they can be borderline and not throw a code.
Were you able to confirm that the output from the secondary air pump is actually getting through the air management valve to the exhaust manifold? Is the pump actually pumping air and not just running ?

Old 01-01-2016, 07:28 PM

Hanky
yes, before turning the key, i disconnect both hoses the one before the vacuum solenoid, and the one to the exhaust manifold , i then had some one start the car, within 10 seconds, the pump turns on, air is felt at the first disconnected hose, i reconnect and then air is felt at the second disconnected hose, so I can positively say the pump, works and air pressure is getting to the tube welded to the exhaust manifold, and with plenty of pressure,, (PLEASE NOTE: the pump only runs for 10-15 seconds)

it just seem the mid o2 sensor is not reading it correctly, but all test on that o2 shows, 7 ohms of resistance on heater, (2 white wires), and connecting to the black and grey show a range from .00 to .98 when tip is hit with torch,

exception, when holding the torch to the tip, the volt begin to drop, from .98 to .65 with in the first 60 seconds,, according to the test method, this should not happen, for the propain torch should not be allowing any oxygen to be detected by the sensor, so i orderd a new one , should be here in a couple of days

Old 01-01-2016, 07:57 PM

Sounds like you have it pretty much under control. Let us know how you make out, thanks and Happy New Year !

I hope you ordered Motorcraft , they work best in Fords.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:05 AM
Default OMG, I know the fix......

Dear readers
So as i stated i replaced the exhaust/Cat manifold with Dorman part 674702, and would you believe the sent the wrong gasket for that part, the gasket they package the part with does not have the hole for the secondary air injection system, hence, after repairing the p0420 error, I received a p0411 error, because the air can not make it into the cat. People check your gaskets, every time, what a freaking mess this has made...

Old 01-12-2016, 11:28 PM

David,

I'll be the first to thank you for posting what the fix was. Way to often, we either never hear back if a problem is resolved or what resolved the problem. Again, THANKS...

Old 01-13-2016, 09:18 AM
Default FYI, very helpful, emission ready in 30 miles or less

drive cycle

Ford Motor Company Driving Cycle