Ford Forum Help & Suggestion Center Need help with FF? Ask. Have a suggestion to better FF? Tell us here.

2004 Ford Freestar Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2022, 10:17 PM
Default 2004 Ford Freestar Transmission

A smooth shift going from park to drive, shift hards going into 2 & 3, and shifts smooth going into OD. But can't go from Drive to Reverse it stutters. But if you put it in Park and then drop it into reverse it's fine. Checked the fluid regularly and it's fine. Someone said it could be the computer picked up on different drivers. My husband was a drive it like you stole it driver and I'm more of a driving Ms. Dasiy driver. When I disconnected the battery. The check engine light went off and it seemed fine for awhile and then started again.

Any Ideas?

Old 02-17-2022, 04:10 AM

Those mini vans were plagued with transmission issues. Mostly failed torque converters which there was a recall on them long ago. When I had one fail, the vehicle wouldn't move. Is the OD light flashing? I would atleast start with a code reading to see what the computer does not like. There may be an issue with a shift solenoid.
Taking into consideration the history of these transmissions, I got a feeling that you are in for a major repair or replacement of the transmission. Probably wouldn't hurt to drop the pan to see if there is any unusual debris in the pan and replace the filter. By examining what is on the pan's bottom could confirm the need for a rebuild or replacement.

Last edited by raski; 02-17-2022 at 04:23 AM.
Old 02-17-2022, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by raski
Those mini vans were plagued with transmission issues. Mostly failed torque converters which there was a recall on them long ago. When I had one fail, the vehicle wouldn't move. Is the OD light flashing? I would atleast start with a code reading to see what the computer does not like. There may be an issue with a shift solenoid.
Taking into consideration the history of these transmissions, I got a feeling that you are in for a major repair or replacement of the transmission. Probably wouldn't hurt to drop the pan to see if there is any unusual debris in the pan and replace the filter. By examining what is on the pan's bottom could confirm the need for a rebuild or replacement.

I did have the torque converter replaced when it was recalled. I’ve already said if they say I need a new transmission I will just drive it till it dies. I’m not putting a $2000 transmission in an 04 Freestar thats worth maybe $1800. It’s just not worth it. I found a coupon to have Aamco put it on the computer for free. I might just take them up on that.

Old 02-17-2022, 09:36 AM

The wise thing to do would be to get a few different estimates.

If you feel the vehicle is not worth much to you consider unloading it before spending any $$ on it
The only problem then becomes if you purchase another used vehicle , we never know why that vehicle was traded.
If you can afford it , of course a new vehicle would be just fine. Only you know what kind of maintenance your vehicle has received and if that is the only problem it might be worth considering having it repaired.

Old 02-18-2022, 09:03 AM

^ ^ Very sound advice for your transmission.