Ford Forum Help & Suggestion Center Need help with FF? Ask. Have a suggestion to better FF? Tell us here.

97 3.0 Windstar transmission pan metal hoses

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2020, 06:29 PM
Default 97 3.0 Windstar transmission pan metal hoses

I took off the transmission pan to change the filter and one of the metal hoses inside was very loose. I could push the outside end on easily but cannot get the inside end to go in all the way. Do I need to put the car in a special gear or neutral to get the line seated? Thanks in advance

Old 05-04-2020, 11:46 AM

If you have the trans with the 5 tubes, there should be 2 brackets that hold them in place. When installing the tubes , tap them lightly until fully seated.
If this was an overhaul, you would use a thread locker between the tube and case.
Some have the clamp that holds the reverse tube and trans oil filter in place.

Old 05-04-2020, 08:05 PM
Default Hoses

Originally Posted by hanky
If you have the trans with the 5 tubes, there should be 2 brackets that hold them in place. When installing the tubes , tap them lightly until fully seated.
If this was an overhaul, you would use a thread locker between the tube and case.
Some have the clamp that holds the reverse tube and trans oil filter in place.
Yes. I loosened the bracket, and checked the hole that the longer end goes into. It's all clear and a skinny screwdriver can travel as far as the tube needs to go. But when I insert it, it stops about half an inch too soon to seat properly. I tried twisting the metal tube while pushing it. Tapping it with a plastic mallet while twisting it, but it won't go all the way. I almost want to cut half an inch of tube off. Do I just need to keep at it? Nothing special for what gear I'm in, etc. But thank you for answering.

Old 05-05-2020, 04:29 AM

If they were in there previously, they should go back in there.Should not need to us any excessive force.
Exactly which tube is giving you the problem ?