Ford Forum Help & Suggestion Center Need help with FF? Ask. Have a suggestion to better FF? Tell us here.

My first car / Truck ever but having some issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2022, 02:37 PM
Default My first car / Truck ever but having some issues

Hi my names Cayden i'm new here as this is my first post i'm a senior in highschool right now and I drive a 2003 Turbo Diesel Lariat Ford F-250 4 door with a cattle guard I got this truck for $2,250 on facebook market a little while ago and absolutely love it

when I got it the car had a computer installed giving me DTC codes. Currently these 4 codes display

P006A: Unknown

P0263: Cyl1 Contribution/Balance Fault

P0528: Fan Speed Sensor Circ No Signal

and P1000 comes up very often. I have no clue how to fix these issues and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-24-2022, 06:50 AM

Maybe some of the codes might be related to the P1000.

That code comes up whenever power to the system is lost such as disconnecting the battery.
Might be a good idea to start checking connections starting right at the battery , then the paths thru the systems maybe near the fuse panel.

Those years had a water intrusion problem with water leaking on to the fuse panel inside the vehicle . Many leaked right from the factory If you look under the dash in the parking brake area and see a lot of rust you may have found the culprit. Sometimes you can clean the corrosion with a good electrical contact cleaner spray.
Before going any further lets see what you find so far, thanks.

Old 02-24-2022, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
Maybe some of the codes might be related to the P1000.

That code comes up whenever power to the system is lost such as disconnecting the battery.
Might be a good idea to start checking connections starting right at the battery , then the paths thru the systems maybe near the fuse panel.

Those years had a water intrusion problem with water leaking on to the fuse panel inside the vehicle . Many leaked right from the factory If you look under the dash in the parking brake area and see a lot of rust you may have found the culprit. Sometimes you can clean the corrosion with a good electrical contact cleaner spray.
Before going any further lets see what you find so far, thanks.

I can attach some pictures if that will help and is it safe to drive around? I'm about to try taking it to school but I will try and unleak the water from under the truck first, it's very cold and I was told Diesel trucks are bad in the cold so i normally leave it running for 10-30m using a lot of my gas

Old 02-24-2022, 09:17 AM

You should be able to learn a lot here. We have some very experienced folks on this forum especially diesels.

Diesel trucks are not really bad in cold weather, if maintained and driven with a little care. There are a few things you should know and with those things you can enjoy your new find. Unfortunately maintenance is not something to be ignored, .
Suggest you read through your owner's manual , there is a lot of good info in there. It not only explains how the features work , but also makes recommendations to keep them working well. From past experience your vehicle is a good workhorse and with good maintenance will serve you well.

What do you mean , unleak the water from under the vehicle?

Old 02-24-2022, 03:19 PM

You should be able to learn a lot here. We have some very experienced folks on this forum especially diesels.

Diesel trucks are not really bad in cold weather, if maintained and driven with a little care. There are a few things you should know and with those things you can enjoy your new find. Unfortunately maintenance is not something to be ignored, .
Suggest you read through your owner's manual , there is a lot of good info in there. It not only explains how the features work , but also makes recommendations to keep them working well. From past experience your vehicle is a good workhorse and with good maintenance will serve you well.

What do you mean , unleak the water from under the vehicle?
In the past because of snow there was a whole lot of water that got into the truck and because it was cold it ended up freezing and on my way home from school it started stopping slowly and it felt like I was losing power, nothing on the cars dashboard indicated any errors were occurring just the computer. I had no warning just the computer flashing red. I stopped at a stop sign and had dry start for half an hour until my dad could come move it by chaining it to his truck. I found out that there was an excessive amount of water build up inside the truck blocking fuel from going to the engine

Its a small square box on the drivers side below the vehicle next to some pipes, I have to unscrew it to drain out excess water to get the car to start again but I'm scared it's having other issues too

Old 02-24-2022, 05:46 PM

Among some of the things a diesel owner learns are;
Clean quality fuel and good regular fuel filter changes are CRITICAL. If water get into the fuel system , it must all be removed and cleaned. The injection pump consists of very close tolerance components that do not react favorably to water. They are expensive to replace.
Try to read up on as much info as you can and you can perform the simple maintenance steps that will save you a lot of trouble and $$..

Old 02-24-2022, 06:51 PM

Among some of the things a diesel owner learns are;
Clean quality fuel and good regular fuel filter changes are CRITICAL. If water get into the fuel system , it must all be removed and cleaned. The injection pump consists of very close tolerance components that do not react favorably to water. They are expensive to replace.
Try to read up on as much info as you can and you can perform the simple maintenance steps that will save you a lot of trouble and $$..
Im not sure the truck came with the manuel but I know it came with regristration and stuff i'll check google and try and find a version of it for my truck I didn't know they were fragile with water is there anything I can buy to help prevent water intrusions because they are constant i'll fix the issue and the issue comes back with another one so i'm not sure what to do

Old 02-25-2022, 06:46 AM

First, you can find info on an owner's manual at ,, www.fleetford.com.

I hope we are talking about the same thing.
Water coming inside the vehicle can be through the windshield leak. That leads us to the fuse panel under the dash on the driver's side.

Also, make sure to drain that component, if it is as you describe, . It may be a water separator that is supposed to prevent water from getting into the engine fuel components.

Old 02-25-2022, 01:44 PM

First, you can find info on an owner's manual at ,, www.fleetford.com.

I hope we are talking about the same thing.
Water coming inside the vehicle can be through the windshield leak. That leads us to the fuse panel under the dash on the driver's side.

Also, make sure to drain that component, if it is as you describe, . It may be a water separator that is supposed to prevent water from getting into the engine fuel components.

Everytime I drain it it starts up again from a dry start but only works for so long the issue is constant not sure how to stop it. The fuel filter is getting clogged up with water and it stops the car nothing from the windshield or ontop of the car it's all problems that are beneath the car and I checked the breaks and that general area for rust and didn't spot any. I live in Texas so i'm not sure if it would rust w/o salt

Old 02-25-2022, 03:21 PM

If the fuel filter keeps getting clogged with water, 2 ways come to mind. One the tank is full of water and must be removed and cleaned out.
How did the water get in there? Did someone buy a load of water instead of diesel fuel ? Not the first time something like this has happened.
The filler neck for the fuel tank should be checked to make sure water can't be getting in from road splash.

Be careful here, some folks believe that you can add a lot of additive like dry gas to the fuel tank and it will get rid of all that water. If it was that easy , we could make fuel out of water, But that doesn't work !