Ford Forum Help & Suggestion Center Need help with FF? Ask. Have a suggestion to better FF? Tell us here.

Wires or cables hanging down on my Ford E-150 Tuscany conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 10:58 PM
Default Wires or cables hanging down on my Ford E-150 Tuscany conversion

I own an 02 e150 Tuscany conversion with a Triton. There are about 3-4 cables hanging down from the rear drivers side to a little Past the middle of the van (from back to front) on the driver's side. The seem to be wrapped in that plastic flex tubing. I had a total brake failure caused by the rear driver's side brake line blowing out on me. That was about 4 years ago. I don't know what these wires or cables are. I don't know what I'm brake line looks like I'm assuming it's rigid and would not be hanging down as the cables that are currently doing so. I am disabled and cannot look under the vehicle but I did have someone take a look. That person isn't a mechanic and doesn't have much knowledge but he did say it looked like there might have been some kind of bracket that had rotted away in the area in front of the leaf springs on the driver side exactly where those wires/tables are hanging. Can someone tell me what these might be and is it okay to just use a couple of heavy duty wire ties two fasten them somewhere along the frame rail? I usually have them serviced at Ford exclusively but being on a budget I am really hating to have to pay what will probably amount to over $100 for a bracket or wire ties as I would do the same thing to rectify the issue. If anyone can help or advise me please do so. Greatly appreciate it. Sincerely, Jojo

Old 07-31-2017, 08:46 PM

Hello
This would be hard for anyone to answer without seeing the wires. Have you
owned the Van from new?
Take some black vinyl tape and wrap the exposed wire ends separately.
then tie them to something, just so they don't flop around
Yes brake lines are rigid.
While your at it, take a note of the color of each wire... are the wires cut or do
they have ends on them. (spade, ring etc
Have a family member or friend check the turn signal and brake lights while your
at it..
Actually it sounds like some type of after market wiring, as 99.9% of manufacturers
run all their wires inside the car\truck\van.. just safer
Best

Old 07-31-2017, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Sanddoc
Hello
This would be hard for anyone to answer without seeing the wires. Have you
owned the Van from new?
Take some black vinyl tape and wrap the exposed wire ends separately.
then tie them to something, just so they don't flop around
Yes brake lines are rigid.
While your at it, take a note of the color of each wire... are the wires cut or do
they have ends on them. (spade, ring etc
Have a family member or friend check the turn signal and brake lights while your
at it..
Actually it sounds like some type of after market wiring, as 99.9% of manufacturers
run all their wires inside the car\truck\van.. just safer
Best
First first let me thank you for replying. I am the second owner of the van. It does have an aftermarket rear AC unit. It also has a stereo system with two amplifiers installed under the rear seat add a subwoofer behind it. The Wires that are hanging are wrapped in that plastic insulating Flex cable. I'm sure you're familiar with the type. As I mentioned it's black and color and usually comes sliced open so you can push wires through the center and then tape them it up every few inches or in this case feet. I could add a photo or two or even three. I don't know if I'm able to add photos as I am new to this site. I will take some tomorrow and if it's possible to add them I will. I think you're correct. It's most likely the rear air conditioning unit and some stereo wires. This is a wheelchair lift equipped van. It also has a second battery located in the back of the vehicle. This battery allows me to start the vehicle via a toggle switch located on the firewall next to the steering wheel. This is in case buy under hood battery fails. They may also have something to do with the Lift itself even though the lift is on the opposite side of the hanging wires. There are also limousine type lights installed in the roof head liner. I actually feel better because of your reply. Knowing that the chances of those Wires have nothing to do with my brakes sets my mind at ease. I think just having someone get underneath there and wiretie them through some holes located either on the underside body of the vehicle near the running boards or even through some holes in the chassis will do the trick. I'm guessing that's where they were originally. I wouldn't even be surprised if a single wire tie was originally what was holding them up. Thank you so much for replying. I wasn't expecting anyone to get back to me. Sincerely, Jojo PS. I will take those photos tomorrow and if it's possible to add them on this site I will add them before doing anything. If it is possible to add those photos I hope that you will check back and take a look at them. I'm feeling more comfortable knowing from someone who knows even though you have basically convinced me of what they are before I actually have someone at a couple of wire ties.

Old 08-01-2017, 05:25 AM

Glad to have of any assistance. I take it your not able to do any of this yourself?
the second battery is probably a Marine deep cycle type, it can be used
for starting a car, but not too often as they are not designed for that purpose.
But most important is to make sure there is either no voltage on those wires
and if there is that they don't touch any metal..
I'd find a good automotive electrical shop and have them check it all out.
Best

Old 08-01-2017, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Sanddoc
Glad to have of any assistance. I take it your not able to do any of this yourself?
the second battery is probably a Marine deep cycle type, it can be used
for starting a car, but not too often as they are not designed for that purpose.
But most important is to make sure there is either no voltage on those wires
and if there is that they don't touch any metal..
I'd find a good automotive electrical shop and have them check it all out.
Best
When I purchased the vihicle it had 20.000 on it. It now has 101.000.. It was 4 year's old when I bought it. Whatever was supporting those wires most likely rotted away. So much salt laid down during the winter months here in the NY NJ areas where I live and obviously drive my vihicle. The backup battery was indeed a deep cycle battery. There's an isolator under the hood. I believe it's job is to occasionally switch the altanatorors current to that rear battery in order to keep it charged. When that Depp cycle went South I replaced it with a non deep cycle (regular car battery, twice.) I've actually had to use the backup in order to start the van. That happened about four times between the two non deep cycles rear backups and no problems. They started the van right up. I'm sure you're correct those wirers do carry current. I'm sure their insulated (4-6 aug?) and being wrapped in that extra (added) flex insulating outer case should make it safe to wire tie them to metal, but I'm going to take your advice. I'll either wire tie them under the fiberglass running boards or try my best to figure out how and where they were originally fastened and put them back to their original support area. It doesn't look like I can add photos. That's to bad. I've been in a wheelchair since 80. This is my fourth Ford e150 wheelchair accessible van. And you are correct. Getting under there isn't something I can't do myself. I do have friends and family who can help. I'll have one of them take photos and after looking at them advise them on what to do. I'm hoping that there's remains of the original hanger bracket. I will replace it with the exact bracket and install it in the same place from which it broke off. I just noticed I could add a URL. I'll get someone to take a video clip the download it to my YouTube channel. Then I'll add it here. I'd appreciate it if you'd take a look at it then give me your thoughts. I appreciate your time and advice. I'll try to get that video and add it by 1pm. I'm assuming you'll get a notification that I've replied to your reply. Thanks so much. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to help. I'll pay it forward. I always do. Sincerely, joejoe.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Joejoebk
When I purchased the vihicle it had 20.000 on it. It now has 101.000.. It was 4 year's old when I bought it. Whatever was supporting those wires most likely rotted away. So much salt laid down during the winter months here in the NY NJ areas where I live and obviously drive my vihicle. The backup battery was indeed a deep cycle battery. There's an isolator under the hood. I believe it's job is to occasionally switch the altanatorors current to that rear battery in order to keep it charged. When that Depp cycle went South I replaced it with a non deep cycle (regular car battery, twice.) I've actually had to use the backup in order to start the van. That happened about four times between the two non deep cycles rear backups and no problems. They started the van right up. I'm sure you're correct those wirers do carry current. I'm sure their insulated (4-6 aug?) and being wrapped in that extra (added) flex insulating outer case should make it safe to wire tie them to metal, but I'm going to take your advice. I'll either wire tie them under the fiberglass running boards or try my best to figure out how and where they were originally fastened and put them back to their original support area. It doesn't look like I can add photos. That's to bad. I've been in a wheelchair since 80. This is my fourth Ford e150 wheelchair accessible van. And you are correct. Getting under there isn't something I can't do myself. I do have friends and family who can help. I'll have one of them take photos and after looking at them advise them on what to do. I'm hoping that there's remains of the original hanger bracket. I will replace it with the exact bracket and install it in the same place from which it broke off. I just noticed I could add a URL. I'll get someone to take a video clip the download it to my YouTube channel. Then I'll add it here. I'd appreciate it if you'd take a look at it then give me your thoughts. I appreciate your time and advice. I'll try to get that video and add it by 1pm. I'm assuming you'll get a notification that I've replied to your reply. Thanks so much. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to help. I'll pay it forward. I always do. Sincerely, joejoe.
https://youtu.be/UD H19hEQ4w
I don't know if this link will allow you to see the wires. The clip isn't the best but it's the two flex cables and two solid hoses that are hanging. There no where near the ground but are low enough to catch a branch of other debris laying on the road way. Thanks again. PS. If the clip doesn't show try to look again in a while. I'm hoping I put the correct URL in the message.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:15 AM
Default YouTube

https://youtu.be/UD_H19hEQ4w
I don't know if this link will allow you to see the wires. The clip isn't the best but it's the two flex cables and two solid hoses that are hanging. There no where near the ground but are low enough to catch a branch of other debris laying on the road way. Thanks again. PS. If the clip doesn't show try to look again in a while. I'm hoping I put the correct URL in the message.
doc. I deleted the clip. I don't think it would have been a great help anyway. A friend of mine got under there with six heavy duty wire ties and took care of the problem. Wires are no longer hanging. He used 3 wire ties too loosely Fastenal three hanging wires together leaving a space of about 2 inches and then slipped another wire tie through that wire time Loop and fastened it through some holes he found on the chassis itself. It should be fine. I appreciate all the time you spent replying to my questions. You are a great help. God bless you my friend. Sincerely, Jojo PS. I hope I don't have any further problems but if I do I will definitely post them and hopefully will be able to rectify them just as this one was without having to spend a fortune at the dealership. Thanks again.

Last edited by Joejoebk; 08-01-2017 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Would like to add some information
Old 08-01-2017, 09:33 AM

https://youtu.be/UD H19h4EQw
https://youtu.be/UD_H19h4EQw

Old 08-01-2017, 02:10 PM

Thank thank you doc. A friend of mine took care of the issue for me. I appreciate all your help and the time you took to reply to all my questions. Have a great rest of the week and enjoy your weekend. God bless you and your family. Sincerely Jojo

Old 08-01-2017, 02:12 PM

[QUOTE=Joejoebk;103215[/QUOTE]
👍👍👍 Thanks doc.