Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

2004 Freestar - Power Window Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 08:46 AM
Default 2004 Freestar - Power Window Problem

At first, the driver's side power window stopped working but the passenger side window was operational. Next,both windows stopped. After several weeks, both mysteriously started working again but that lasted for about 2 weeks. Now, both haveonce again stopped functioning. Luckily,both windows are in the up position. I don't hear any noises coming from the window motor when I press down on either side's window control.

The car dealership "believes" itis the master switch located in the driver'sside door panel but how can I make sure before I break down and purchase a new master switch.

Thanks for any help!

Old 09-24-2008, 01:18 PM
Default RE: 2004 Freestar - Power Window Problem

Try pulling the switch and disassemble and clean contacts. I have seen several differnet Fords and GMs have corrosion problems with window switch due to it being mounted on the doors, water, soda, crumbs, and general crude get stuck in it.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:01 PM

For me it is only the passenger window. I tried some used replacement switches, but it didn't help. My mirrors will only adjust in 3 directions to boot. With the replacement it would only adjust in 2 directions.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:34 PM

I have the same problem , most of the time neither switch will work. Of course when a friend tries the window it works and gets stuck down.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:08 PM

Remove the master switch and check for continuity with a ohmmeter when you toggle the switch(es). Same with the switches at the other doors other than the driver's.

All the up/down switches do is reverse the polarity to the window motor. Hence, the motor will turn in one direction, and then the other, making the widow go up and down.

The master switch, to disable the passenger windows, simply opens and closes the circuit. I suspect this switch may be defective.

Personally, if I found a bad switch, I would replace it/them with a new switch from Ford.

Last edited by thexlo8ers; 08-11-2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:57 AM
Default Not the switches..

Checked the window switches with a meter. Took the passenger door panel off, and I can hear and feel clicking in motor cylinder.
Tapped the motor firmly with a screw driver handle. Success!

Also took the mirror switch apart and cleaned the funk between the rubber membrane contacts and the tiny IC board. Cleaned the minor corrosion on IC board (probably from rain when the window was down). Also successful.

Best of all - I paid the dealer nothing.

Last edited by stwoodworth; 09-01-2012 at 01:59 AM.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by stwoodworth
Checked the window switches with a meter. Took the passenger door panel off, and I can hear and feel clicking in motor cylinder.
Tapped the motor firmly with a screw driver handle. Success!

Also took the mirror switch apart and cleaned the funk between the rubber membrane contacts and the tiny IC board. Cleaned the minor corrosion on IC board (probably from rain when the window was down). Also successful.

Best of all - I paid the dealer nothing.
Good to hear you got everything working again.

I recommend cycling those window motors often should nobody else use them. Use it or lose it scnario.

For the readers of this thread, smear dielectric grease on all switch contacts before assembly. Better chance of such working for at least another 8-9 yrs. Stwoodworth you may, or may not, have done this. I don't know.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:42 PM
Default Power window problems

I had the same problem with our 2006 ford freestar and once i checked the driverside switch and found nothing i moved on to the motor. Once i took the motor out of the door there was hardly an brushes left in the motor housing. I am searching for replacement brushes as to having to buy a new motor. Hopefully I can find some. Good luck with your vans.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:22 PM

I have a 1999 F150 and the drivers side window will intermittently work as others have stated. The last time I went through everything and I found I was not getting the -12vlts going to the motor when I pushed the switch in the reverse positions, just had to unplug motor and put meter on the positive side and the other two ground, (I had already pulled the motor and put a battery to it and it worked fine in both directions switching polarity) now the switch seems to be working fine (testing with and ohm meter) has anyone taken apart the female plug that plugs into the switch? I am getting the 12vlts from the plug going to the switch but still not working. I used WD the last time to clean everything, anyone recommend the best way to clean the female side that plugs into the switch.

Last edited by stpetesal; 10-12-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:09 PM

I picked up some electrical contact cleaner from O'Reilly. You can also try and scuff them up with a very thin emery board or stiff emery cloth. Also test the resistance/continuity for the power conductors from the switch to the motor plug in the door.

Quick Reply: 2004 Freestar - Power Window Problem