Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

2004 Freestar rear lift gate handle

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 01:34 PM

Our rear lift gate handle did the same thing. We had it replaced and it came off again with in six months. Looks like this is a recurring problem with the Ford Freestar as this post has been viewed over 42,000 times.
I came here looking for info on why when I start my van the radio will be reset to AM and the clock is flashing 12:00. The van starts great runs great, except for this morning. I went out and it didnt want to start( it is garaged so I doubt it's the cold). If anyone has any direction on fixing this problem I'd appreciate it.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:36 PM

Could I please have the instructions posted to my registered email. Painfully read 37 pages of this thread hoping for a link or an attachment. Since it is the middle of a Saturday it would be a great time to have the info to attempt to fix the door.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:23 AM

Yeah, for some reason the guy with the information won't post it in the thread - he will only email it directly to those who ask. Personally I think he is just trying to collect emails.

In the process he has also coaxed people into unwittingly listing their email addresses directly within the thread of this public forum, thereby exposing them to to potential SPAM due to webbot scrubs.

Ridiculous.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:20 PM

Before anyone screams at me let me just say this:

OK, a dude on this Forum has information that A LOT of people need to fix their Freestar Liftgate Handles, but for some reason he won't post it in the thread of the same name. Maybe he does not have permission from the author - maybe the information needs a license to be published in it's entirety. The reason really does not matter.

Why not just take TEN MINUTES to put the Repair Steps in your OWN WORDS and post them here on this Public Forum in a Sticky where all the good people in the Ford Freestar community can see them in real time at their discretion? Why all this controlling nonsense of PM me with your email?

The PURPOSE of a Public Forum is to provide real-time information to assist our Community with answers to their Freestar problems. When you make people wait to receive an email with the information they desperately need it completely defeats the purpose of this Public Forum.

Just post the information on how to fix the Liftgate Handle in your own words to a Sticky and let's put an end to all this email BS. Failure to do so does an injustice to the Forum in my hubmle opinion.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:29 AM

BlackSton3,

I can certainly understand your feelings. But what I have been forwarded is not something I can post into words. I have diagrams and diagrams only. Besides, the member who forwarded them to me asked me not to post them on the site here or anywhere else. Trust me, I inquired about that.

I am not collecting emails addresses. I have no need for that. I have put my email address on here so that people can contact me if they want the information. That's the way it has to be. 95% of the time, I get the information to the person the same day. I do have a job, so it may take me a few hours to get it to who ever requests it. But, I am more then willing to pass on any information that I have to those in need, free of charge and using my time to it. After all, isn't that what this forum is for? To share information upon request? To help one another?

So, maybe you should get off your soapbox and understand the situation before posting a ridiculous post like yours. I'm pretty sure this has all been explained before in a previous post.

The Dude (or at least one of them )

Old 02-04-2013, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by minnesotamike
....So, maybe you should get off your soapbox and understand the situation before posting a ridiculous post like yours. I'm pretty sure this has all been explained before in a previous post.
There is nothing "ridiculous" about my post. I don't see anywhere in the previous 37 pages where you explain yourself as you just did above. You may be able to force people who need the Liftgate information into doing it your way but you cannot silence voices on this Forum.

Soapboxes are for standing on.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by BlackSton3
There is nothing "ridiculous" about my post. I don't see anywhere in the previous 37 pages where you explain yourself as you just did above. You may be able to force people who need the Liftgate information into doing it your way but you cannot silence voices on this Forum.

Soapboxes are for standing on.

Seems we've been to this party for a dance before, and to the same tune... And actually the reason does matter..

First,, for me, this really isn't 'just about' the Freestar and the liftgate issues. And certiainly not an email gathering scam.

Some here have been granted 'permission' yes to access technical information and that information, and illustrations or instructional material is Copy Right Protected. A larger reason is, this site does not allow copy protected information to be posted as the topic has been explained prior. Does it happen? at times. Some here as employee's, or independants, may not want the added risk to loose the grant for posts/images even in edited formats , some may not care. Their choice..

Given the 'volume' of post and help requests for the handle issue as well as others, a better avenue for the info. to be available would save all in time and exposure. This however, IS NOT a fix for the handle or an update repair. It is only information to gain access to the handle for a replacement/repair. Not ALL the handle failures are the same..

Problem is, illustrations are generally transfered in PDF format. For someome to create and post documents for each and every topic of repair would require copying each image, edit out stamps, and insert script. Not a huge task, but file/image downloads sizes are fairly small here. Some of the step proceedures and images loads on different vehicles and tasks are pretty large and would require 'some time' to make a site friendly file and a more correct appearance of the original. Offsite hosting is an option to size constraints.

I asked Mike to not post any information generated as owner questionable so your concerns should be directed at me. If he wants to put together a document to post, or on another topic, thats fine as long as it follows the site rules. I think Mike has done a good job keeping the requests in the PM background and giving that direction to those asking. All the email contacts were and have been removed for some time now. The help requests started on page #1, and I don't think anyone expected the continued handle help posts to cover a range of 37 pages.

However I value the availablity, and wouldn't risk posting if I thought I put myself there. I would encourage others as well.. As with any other file sharing on the net or sites, it can come back in a negative way. Over causious,, maybe to probably, and doubt there would ever be an issue if edited and/or not continued on a regular basis. But continued or repeated copy infringment hangs a red flag here when its easy to see where it originates from.. Those will draw my attention and may be removed..

Jabbing fingers helps no one.. I put together a site friendly version into the Freestar threads as a test only. Mike, Thanks for all the pages of helpful posts, I'm sure many appreciate it, and feel free to continue if asked.....

Last edited by Hayapower; 02-05-2013 at 12:09 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:13 PM

Hayapower,

You're welcome. I'm happy to pass on the info I received and will continue to do so as long as people need it.

Mike

Old 03-02-2013, 08:46 AM
Default Us too!

Hi there, we just bought a 2004 Freestar, and the first time my wife took it for a drive, she managed to pull the tailgate handle out on one side. If someone could send me the instructions for fixing it, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 03-04-2013, 04:12 PM
Default O.K. please add me to the list.

My wife has been asking me to take a look at the latch because it was working intermitantly. I couldn't see anything and just sprayed some lube onto the latch mechanism. Shortly after that, approximately 2 weeks,the latch quit working and now we have to load and unload through the side doors. What a pain in the butt!
Would you please send the repair info to me as well.

Thank you in advance for having this site,

T

Quick Reply: 2004 Freestar rear lift gate handle