Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

2006 Freestar getting worse trying to start and keep running

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 10:21 PM
Default 2006 Freestar getting worse trying to start and keep running

This is a complicated one. Basically, it frequently doesn't want to start easily, that is, keep running after starting. Most of the time I have to try multiple times (no more than 2 seconds of cranking) to get it started but sometimes it won't keep running at start. Wish I knew how to describe the noise/engine condition, but it's very rough, trying to catch. I have seen white smoke from the exhaust and believe that is excess fuel. One mechanic said sometimes the air intake (butterfly valve?) is closed when it should be open. So far I have been able to start it by propping open the air filter housing to let more air in, but it is taking longer to start than before, even like that. So far we have replaced the air filter, the fuel filter, the mass air flow sensor and the PCM, because it was showing water damage and after that replacement it was better for a while. Considering replacing the ECU but would really like to know what needs fixing before spending much more. After starting, it usually runs fine but can choke and die if I try to accelerate too fast. And a mechanic said sometimes the fuel pressure will drop to zero for a split second. Not sure under what conditions. Have not replaced spark plugs or anything related yet, but could that cause it to have trouble starting but run ok?

Other (non- related? issues): rear vent windows don't always respond (motor?), windshield washer motor not working, module that switches internal air from cold to hot sometimes doesn't work (item on back order with no future release date), odometer/trip meter doesn't display anymore, and the strange one... the internal air will suddenly come on even though it's in the Off position.

I don't care about the rest of that crap as long as I can get it started every day. Any help/ideas? Thanks.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:42 AM

What about fuel pump and fuel filter? Also, have you checked your vacuum lines?

Old 09-18-2017, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by RiflemanD
What about fuel pump and fuel filter? Also, have you checked your vacuum lines?
Fuel filter replaced, fuel pump tested and normally gets 60 PSI but randomly will drop to 0. Don't know if vacuum lines have been checked. Once it gets started it seems to run ok, mostly. I guess I didn't write what was done: new air filter, new fuel filter, new mass O2 sensor, new PCM. ECU tested ok, but I'm suspicious. So far I don't have a clear idea of what needs to be fixed and I don't want to start throwing money at it hoping to accidentally fix the problem. Haven't done plugs yet but I would think it would run rough if those were bad. Thanks.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:30 AM

Bad coil or plugs and you'd be running rougher

Old 09-18-2017, 02:08 PM

From what you describe,
The assorted problems from unrelated systems would cause me to question the ground connections. Starting at the battery there usually is/are one or more ground wires going to different places on the vehicle. With questionable connections voltage drops take place and some things just won't work properly if at all. The reason I suspect this is because once you have the vehicle running you state there is no problem and it runs ok.This could be because the charging system is providing peak voltage and it might be enough to overcome the poor connection. It is a worthwhile endeavor to check "every" ground connection for cleanliness and tightness. That is very important. Because it is so important you may notice there are several grounds doing the same thing . They can and do get corrosion under them and they can look good and still not be good electrically.

Old 09-18-2017, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
From what you describe,
The assorted problems from unrelated systems would cause me to question the ground connections. Starting at the battery there usually is/are one or more ground wires going to different places on the vehicle. With questionable connections voltage drops take place and some things just won't work properly if at all. The reason I suspect this is because once you have the vehicle running you state there is no problem and it runs ok.This could be because the charging system is providing peak voltage and it might be enough to overcome the poor connection. It is a worthwhile endeavor to check "every" ground connection for cleanliness and tightness. That is very important. Because it is so important you may notice there are several grounds doing the same thing . They can and do get corrosion under them and they can look good and still not be good electrically.
Thanks, really appreciate your thoughts. I will mention that to the mechanic when I take it back in. I'm sure you understand, I just want to find the main problem (starting) and fix it and hope I can ignore the other issues for now.

Old 09-19-2017, 03:47 AM

I have mentioned the Freestar grounds in several other posts. As HANKY has stated, check them. Pull the black plastic radiator shroud and you will see several grounds on both sides. Clean and apply dielectrical grease to them. There is also a ground that can cause issues that is connected to the A/C accumulator/dryer. Also, there is another one, even though it is inside that can cause gremlins. It is located on the drivers side behind the upper portion of the kick panel. Everything communicated over the ground system.