Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

2006 freestar no reverse gear

Old 05-27-2017, 08:47 PM
Default 2006 freestar no reverse gear

hi,i am new to this forum and run into problem with my van's transmission.within 2 days of reverse taking linger to engage,it disappeared totally.engine revs like its in neutral.forward D,3,1 gears are fine and are quick to engage.just no reverse.tranny fluid changed 6 months ago,no shavings found.
there is not even one code on board.even tried to shift to reverse to check if some codes show up.nope.no codes.transsmission is AX4N.
could this be bad reverse solenoid?which one is it?thanx in advance

Old 05-29-2017, 10:57 PM

yeah.was hoping for clues.like reverse clutch is bad.....means reabuild at cost of 2400 can for van 4.2 l engine with 160 000 on it.👏
on next ford.

Old 04-11-2018, 12:23 PM
Default I have same issue

Oh I have the same issue with my 2007 Ford Freestar. It doesn’t go into reverse but drives fine. It just doesn’t engage. I switched out the solenoids nothing happened. What ended up happening with yours. I would appreciate it thank you so much

Old 04-11-2018, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by kazek
yeah.was hoping for clues.like reverse clutch is bad.....means reabuild at cost of 2400 can for van 4.2 l engine with 160 000 on it.👏
on next ford.
yeah..I end up paying $2400 CAN for transmission rebuild.Some how (rusted trans fluid line) cooling got into transmission and ruined some spacers.shop had to install by pass radiator for transmission fluid.if I would not agree to it,there would be no warranty.
that is a second incident with rusted out lines.my brake coming from rad did rust through causing a leak.
my guess is that Ford used different metals.steel on lines and aluminum in the radiator.hth

Old 04-11-2018, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by kazek
yeah..I end up paying $2400 CAN for transmission rebuild.Some how (rusted trans fluid line) cooling got into transmission and ruined some spacers.shop had to install by pass radiator for transmission fluid.if I would not agree to it,there would be no warranty.
that is a second incident with rusted out lines.my brake coming from rad did rust through causing a leak.
my guess is that Ford used different metals.steel on lines and aluminum in the radiator.hth
Wow. I’m sorry to hear that. Looks like mine might be the same problem. It’s just hard to think that because it only has 65,000 miles. I’m hoping it’s a PCM issue. Thank you so much for the reply

Old 04-11-2018, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Dori Scwartz

Wow. I’m sorry to hear that. Looks like mine might be the same problem. It’s just hard to think that because it only has 65,000 miles. I’m hoping it’s a PCM issue. Thank you so much for the reply
no problem.i looked at PCM too.and changed fluid.no change.transmission was done on wan that had 160 000 km.just radiculus.

Old 04-03-2021, 08:03 PM
Default lose reverse when hot on AX4N transmission 2004 freestar

all forward gears shift fine reverse work good when cold but when hot it has no reverse was thinking possible reverse solenoid ?

Old 04-04-2021, 02:59 PM

What could be happening is while the fluid is cold and the seals for the reverse clutch are stiff the reverse clutch piston reacts to the pressure applied, but once warmed up the seals regain some flexibility and now allow what did not leak before to now leak and lose clutch apply pressure resulting in no clutch application..
Once this is verified, the trans will need to be removed and disassembled to get to the clutch assy. If confirmed , all trans clutch seals and discs should be replaced.

Old 04-04-2021, 06:10 PM
Default Perfect

So there is no solenoid that operates reverse all pressure and clutches

Old 04-04-2021, 06:13 PM
Default 2006 freestar

What's the best way to confirm that's the problem will any thing show up on a scan tool?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2006 freestar no reverse gear