Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

AC issues

Old 06-30-2013, 06:34 PM
Default AC issues

We have 2004 ford freestar 3.9L, had the ac compressor, evaporator, and some other parts about 5 years ago. The ac takes a little while to get things cooled off, noticed some oil on underneath of hood. I think from ac compressor. Two questions does anyone else than me think the ac is going out? AC air gets colder on the passengers side than the drivers side. Any ideas on that.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:23 PM

Put 12oz of 134a in and got a lot colder. Problem the air on the drivers side is warmer than the air on the passengers side. What could be the problem, a blend door? It has duel front air control.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:12 AM

What do you consider warmer than the passenger side? What temps are you running on the Drivers side vs. Pasenger side? My Freestar has always had the Passenger side air 3-4 degrees colder than the Driver's side since new. I always figured it was the way the plenum is designed to do everything it had to.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:15 PM

Have not put a temp gauge and checked yet.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:02 PM

Well redone the AC unit again a couple of weeks ago. Found out threw this forum that there is an expansion valve in the back for rear AC. It had metal in it from one of the past compressor's. A little FYI. Where the valve is on the return side before you even loosen the nut put a couple of zip ties under it close. Found out the hard way that little nut will travel way way down BEHIND the rear AC unit and is a son of a gun to get back up. Everything cleaned out, replaced and will put a mild frost on the window in 90 degree weather.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:59 AM

Yep, the expansion valve has no filter, so it gets direct crud from the system. I replaced mine when I did my compressor replacement. Also replaced the front orifice, condensor and accumulator/dryer. I installed an in-line filter with a sight glass in it on my high pressure line. Even after flushing the rest of the system and buttoning everything up, it still took 3 live charges and system runs to get all of the crud out of the system. I could watch the in-line filter fill up with small pieces parts.