Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 11:27 AM
Exclamation Cruise Control

First post Newb here!

I've read most of the posts on this forum concerning cruise control for my 04 Monterrey, which I have ascertained is similar to the free star. Most of those forums recommend the replacement of Break Pressure Sensor. In most cases the forum member noted that the Trac light was an additional symptom of the cruise control being inoperative.

My problem is as many have already stated here. The symptom is inoperable cruise control. Although it works sometimes. Predominately, it does not work. As others user stated the light will flash on why you're trying to turn the cruise control on and sometimes will catch.

This problem was only discovered after replacing all four tires and resetting the low tire air pressure sensor indicator.

I should note that the for this problem appeared and as long as we've had the vehicle the cruise control off and resume and crews have not function.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:15 PM

I also have a 04 monterery with the same problem. This is not a solution but a work around of the problem. I believe that the break sensor switch get stuck in the shut-off cruise position, so in order to break it loose, I will first check that no one is behind me on the road, then I will give the break pedal a quick sharp break force application (not so much that it locks the breaks or anything). This normally get the cruise control back to working when you try to engage it. Be sure to let others in the vehicle know what you are going to do before you do it and becareful on slippery roads.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:30 PM

We could be talking about the same switch also known as the stoplite switch.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:18 PM

I would replace the "Brake Pressure Switch" located on the master cylinder. If the stoplight switch was stuck, I would presume that the brake lights would be on since the stoplight switch is a "ON - OFF" switch.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:53 PM

I'm not sure what type stoplite switch is on that particular vehicle , but some stoplite switches are multifunction and the cruise circuit is dropped out when the pedal is touched. Some can be adjusted to correct that problem.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:57 PM

Thank you all for your replies!

This problem has vanished in with the cold weather here now...

No idea. what that is about!!!

Old 11-24-2013, 06:35 PM

It's the cruise deactivator switch. Check out my video on it.

Old 11-24-2013, 06:48 PM

Ford official name is the "Cruise Control Cutout Switch", part #9F924(SW-6348) and sells it for $30.

Last edited by Use Common Sense; 11-24-2013 at 06:50 PM.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Use Common Sense
Ford official name is the "Cruise Control Cutout Switch", part #9F924(SW-6348) and sells it for $30.
I don't want to get into a whole name thing here but since we questioned my knowledge here is a copy and past from the WSM, also recall 05s28 and 09s09 also specify it as the cruise deactivator switch. Anyway get SW-6351 and get recall pricing $24.

REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
Speed Control Deactivator Switch —
Without Stability Assist
Material
Item Specification
High Performance DOT 3 ESA-M6C25-A
Motor Vehicle Brake Fluid
PM-1 (Canada CPM-1)
1. Disconnect the battery. For additional
information, refer to Section 414-00.
2. Remove the parts in the order indicated in the
following illustration and table.
Item

Old 11-26-2013, 05:07 AM

Makuloco2000...Nobody is questioning your knowledge and I definately don't question anybodys knowledge. Everybody that I know has refered to the switch as the "Brake pressure switch". You're the first that I have seen call it the "cruise deactivator switch". I know first hand that there are Ford Parts people that probably don't know what either is. When I replaced mine, I had to have the Ford parts dude print up a picture of the master cylinder so that I could point the part out to him. And no, the parts guy was not new.

So...I went ahead and posted the official Ford part name with the part number for the Freestar to help assist Ben Johnson on getting a replacement easier if he so choses to replace it.

Enough said on this issue...

Quick Reply: Cruise Control