Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

Heat in rear, but no heat in front

Old 03-14-2014, 02:29 AM
Default Heat in rear, but no heat in front

Just thought this may help somebody.

Ran into this issue about 3 weeks ago. Everything was working fine with the HVAC system until I ended up with no heat in the front. My blend door was not moving to allow heat to enter the plenum. All other HVAC dampers were working fine. I dropped the glove box down and I located the Hot/Cold blend door actuator/motor to the left just behind the radio. I operated the motor and could not feel it moving when changing the temperature. I took the motor off and verified that the blend door moved freely and wasn't broken. I left the motor connected to power and tried to operate it. It would not move, so I opened the motor up. I cleaned it all up and reapplied grease to the gears and the plastic shaft where it goes thru the motor housing. Reconnected power to it and tried it again. This time it was operating just fine. Reinstalled the motor and all is still working fine for the past 3 weeks with no issues since.

Attached Thumbnails Heat in rear, but no heat in front-2004-freestar-blend-door-motor-01.jpg   Heat in rear, but no heat in front-2004-freestar-blend-door-motor-02.jpg  
Old 03-15-2014, 09:22 AM

those motors seems to always have that problem. thanks for the info.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:01 AM

Well, just an update to my re-lubing the blend door actuator/motor gears/shaft. It's been 2 years since removing, opening, cleaning and re-lubing the gears/shaft with good old fashion lithium grease. Unit is still working just fine.

Old 03-18-2016, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Use Common Sense

Ran into this issue about 3 weeks ago. Everything was working fine with the HVAC system until I ended up with no heat in the front. My blend door was not moving to allow heat to enter the plenum. All other HVAC dampers were working fine. I dropped the glove box down and I located the Hot/Cold blend door actuator/motor to the left just behind the radio. I operated the motor and could not feel it moving when changing the temperature. I took the motor off and verified that the blend door moved freely and wasn't broken. I left the motor connected to power and tried to operate it. It would not move, so I opened the motor up. I cleaned it all up and reapplied grease to the gears and the plastic shaft where it goes thru the motor housing. Reconnected power to it and tried it again. This time it was operating just fine. Reinstalled the motor and all is still working fine for the past 3 weeks with no issues since.
Thanks for the info common !!

Old 06-25-2016, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Use Common Sense

This is a great topic and helped me out just fine with my 2005 freestyle. I did exactly with the front. I have problem with the back. I have hot air coming only, no AC which is a headache. I need it here an CA.