Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

Inconsistent tail light

Old 11-03-2017, 08:08 AM
Question Inconsistent tail light

We recently had a fast blink when using left turn signal--the rear bulb for left turn signal had burned out. The expired bulb was a 2-filament Sylvania 4157k that worked as tail/brake light and turn signal. I replaced the expired bulb and the corresponding bulb on the opposite (right rear) side with this LED bulb. The LED bulbs have polarity (positive and negative connections) and will only work with voltage flowing across their circuits in a specific direction. I didn't know how to identify positive/negative sides on the socket/wiring, so used the "plug and pray" method. On both sides the bulb was first installed with incorrect polarity (wouldn't light up), so I pulled the bulb, turned it 180 and re-plugged. I didn't replace turn signal flasher or hazard relays. The LED bulbs are nice and bright.
What works:
  • Left and right turn signals (blinking seems normal; no unusually fast/rapid blinking)
  • Brake lights (both side brake lights and cyclops / CHMSL)
What doesn't work or works inconsistently:
  • Tail lights (when headlight switch is in on position, only right tail light is lit)
With headlight switch in on position and gear selector in reverse position, both tail lights (not just backup lights) are on.
When turning the headlight switch to the on position, the left tail light comes on briefly (between positions?) but goes off when the switch is in the on position.

The replacement LED bulbs have two pairs of circuit leads, like the replaced 4157k bulbs did. What are the chances the wiring in the LED bulbs doesn't match--the wiring on the left results in a reverse polarity situation with the headlight switch in the on position...? I think I need to do more testing. Suggestions for testing/troubleshooting are welcome!

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-03-2017, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by moniker
With headlight switch in on position and gear selector in reverse position, both tail lights (not just backup lights) are on.
Um, right, so it was late when I did a couple tests. The reason the tail lights worked with gear selector in reverse was because the brake pedal was depressed. The tail (brake) lights go off (completely) when the brake pedal is released, even with the headlight switch/**** in the on position. Ai yai yai!
Still seeing some weird intermittency. Sometimes the right (but never the left) tail light is on with headlight switch/**** in the on position and brake released / in park, etc. More often, neither tail lights work (when not braking or using turn/hazard signal). Both work just fine for braking and turn/hazard.

Old 11-04-2017, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator
Thumbs up

Welcome to the site.

Sounds like an issue with the LED’s, more so since other than the rapid flash due to the spent bulb, everything was working.. Eveything work spec if both bulbs were replaced with OE?

Old 11-23-2017, 12:01 PM

Thanks for the response and happy Thanksgiving!
I think you asked if everything works if I install original equipment? Not sure these are considered "original", but I ended up buying a pair of Sylvania 4157ll (long life) bulbs: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sylvania-...-Pack/16913659
All functions (tail/brake/turn) work normally with those bulbs. I guess I'm not convinced the LED bulbs are at fault. I was looking over Autolumination 3156 3157 4157 Selection, Troubleshooting and Installtion Tips, and wonder if the following isn't the problem:

Symptom:
The glass filament style bulbs light fine, but the 3157 led bulb will not light when I switch on the headlights.

Fix:
D. In some vehicles some automotive circuits will not fully energize the circuit, or pulse current to the bulbs to check to see if the bulb is burned out. Since the leds draw 90% less power than the glass bulbs, these circuits do not switch on full voltage , or will not stay on when the led bulb is inserted. This can be corrected by installing one 6 ohm load equalizer across the circuit at each led bulb. This will add more load to the circuit and make the full 12 volt power switch on. In this instance, the glass bulb will make the power switch on, but the led bulb by itself will not make the full 12 volts switch on.

This creates the illusion that the led bulb is at fault when in fact there is not 12 volts at the connection when the led bulb is inserted.