Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

Interior Light Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 09:34 PM
Default Interior Light Problem

2003 Windstar SE having problem with erratic interior lights flashing on and off. Does not seem to be associated with a lose wire. Nor does van have to be moving when this occurs. Not so much of a problem during the day, but during the night it is very annoying. Any ideas of what the problem may be? Ford Dealer has no clue. Reinstalled overhead console but still a problem.

Old 08-14-2008, 05:36 AM
Default RE: Interior Light Problem

Any type of indication that a door is open as in a flakey door switch? Have you checked the dimmer dial on the dash? Ford does some pretty strange things with their electrical, groundsand how stuff is wired.

A perfect example is what happened to me yesterday on my 04 Freestar.

Due to the failure of the A/C compressor, I started the process of replacing the compressor, receiver, condenser, front orifice, rear expansion valve, flush the remaining systemcomponents and install an in-line filter w/sight glass.

Well, while I had the old receiver out, I needed to get into the middle of the van and the power doors would not work, no interior lights and I noticed the head lights and dash lights were on when set in the AUTO mode.

"Hummm,That's strange" the only electrical item touched was the small ground wire that was connected via one of the hold down bolts on the receiver case.

Installed the new receiver, bolted it and the ground wire down and WA-LA, all electrical is back to normal.

I also had a serious case of "MICO-GREMLINS" as I call them when the van was 1 year old. Drove the Dealership mechanic and FORD Engineer bonkers for about 2 weeks. The problem was resolved by removing a multi-ground under the dash, removing some additional paint behind the lug for more contact surface.

Point being, loose and tight grounds can cause problems. Bad grounds show up more in the winter salt belt area.

If you can get your paws on a wiring manual for your van, start chasing wires, connectors and contacts.