Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

new engine vs newer car?

Old 01-14-2017, 09:36 AM
Default new engine vs newer car?

We have a 2006 Ford Freestar minivan with 193000 miles on it. It still runs great but its old enough that we don't trust it for long trips anymore. We have started to look for something newer but then I saw on ebay that I could get a new complete engine for around 2300 dollars and a rebuilt transmission for 1500 dollars. I can do all the install myself and the van still fits us good so would this be a wise choice or should I go with a newer vehicle?

Old 01-14-2017, 08:25 PM

You have to look at 2 things. The payment on a new vehicle is going to be 300.00 to 400.00 a month for 4 to 5 years. I would replace the power train if the van is in great shape. Keep the rest of your money for your children. Thats just me.

Old 04-27-2017, 02:39 PM

My 2005 Freestar (4.2L) has about 180,000 miles on it and the head gasket started to go about 2 weeks ago. It ran great until then but one morning it wouldn't turn over and I noticed that the coolant reservoir was down a fair bit from usual (coolant in cylinder 2 - hydra-lock).

I looked into the price of new upper engine gaskets ($300) +getting the heads ground and the valves done ($500+) and even doing all the install labour myself I would end up spending at least $1000. $2500 at a local shop/garage.
My concern was that something else might go in the engine (bearing, timing belt, oil pump, etc due to the high mileage) so I looked into lower mileage engines. I found one with 75,000 miles on it via a local company for $400 + tax and it came with a 30 day warranty. I bought it and swapped the engines last weekend and it was all plug and play and it started right up. The engine was a 4.2L from a 2006 but from my research it was identical. During the swap I noticed 2 things were different. The 2006 didn't have a fuel rail sensor on the fuel rail and it also had 1 extra sensor on the front head that my 2005 wiring harness didn't have a plug for. I kept the 2005 harness intact and swapped fuel rails so that I could keep the fuel rail sensor and it has been running beautifully since. While I had the engine out, as you also have to take down the sub frame assembly, I put in new struts and rear shocks as well so the van feels like new.
I spent about $900 all in (engine cost, oil, coolant, new serpentine belt and pulley, new injector o-rings, new plenum gaskets, and an engine hoist rental) to do the swap and feel that I can rely on the van again for another 100,000 + miles.
DB

Old 02-14-2018, 05:26 PM
Default 2006, 4.2L , Fuel rail.

Originally Posted by DAB6
My 2005 Freestar (4.2L) has about 180,000 miles on it and the head gasket started to go about 2 weeks ago. It ran great until then but one morning it wouldn't turn over and I noticed that the coolant reservoir was down a fair bit from usual (coolant in cylinder 2 - hydra-lock).

I looked into the price of new upper engine gaskets ($300) +getting the heads ground and the valves done ($500+) and even doing all the install labour myself I would end up spending at least $1000. $2500 at a local shop/garage.
My concern was that something else might go in the engine (bearing, timing belt, oil pump, etc due to the high mileage) so I looked into lower mileage engines. I found one with 75,000 miles on it via a local company for $400 + tax and it came with a 30 day warranty. I bought it and swapped the engines last weekend and it was all plug and play and it started right up. The engine was a 4.2L from a 2006 but from my research it was identical. During the swap I noticed 2 things were different. The 2006 didn't have a fuel rail sensor on the fuel rail and it also had 1 extra sensor on the front head that my 2005 wiring harness didn't have a plug for. I kept the 2005 harness intact and swapped fuel rails so that I could keep the fuel rail sensor and it has been running beautifully since. While I had the engine out, as you also have to take down the sub frame assembly, I put in new struts and rear shocks as well so the van feels like new.
I spent about $900 all in (engine cost, oil, coolant, new serpentine belt and pulley, new injector o-rings, new plenum gaskets, and an engine hoist rental) to do the swap and feel that I can rely on the van again for another 100,000 + miles.
DB
Congrats on your engine change, well done.
If you, or any other member, has a fuel rail from 2006, 4.2L, (part # 6F2Z-9F792-CA) and would be willing to sell it to help a Freestar fan whose vehicle is desperately sick (off the road) and cannot be moved until a rail can be found, I would be most grateful.
All postage and handling would be reimbursed and a fair price paid.......PLEASE HELP

Last edited by lolmans34; 02-14-2018 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-14-2018, 07:52 PM

There should be a ton of these around at your local Wrecking Yard or even used on Craigslist. Check around for a Ford specific recycler in your area or within a driveable distance as I found one about 50 miles away and they sell used Ford parts for about 1/3 to 1/4 of the cost of new. I think the fuel rails from 2004 to 2007 will work as they are the same bolt pattern and the injectors themselves are interchangeable between years. Where are you based out of (City)?

Old 02-14-2018, 08:22 PM
Default 2006 4.2L fuel rail

Originally Posted by DAB6
There should be a ton of these around at your local Wrecking Yard or even used on Craigslist. Check around for a Ford specific recycler in your area or within a driveable distance as I found one about 50 miles away and they sell used Ford parts for about 1/3 to 1/4 of the cost of new. I think the fuel rails from 2004 to 2007 will work as they are the same bolt pattern and the injectors themselves are interchangeable between years. Where are you based out of (City)?
Thanks for your reply DAB6, I am living in Englewood Fl, 34223. Any help you, or other members, can provide will be much appreciated. As the vehicle is my only daily driver, when working, going searching around breakers is not an option without transport, I have checked eBay without luck. TIA

Old 02-15-2018, 12:58 AM

What's wrong with the fuel rail? Could it just be one of the injector o rings leaking or is it definitely something wrong with the rail itself?

I just did a quick check on Craigslist in Fort Meyers Fl and there are a couple Freestars listed for $550 and $650. You could probably get one for $500 and either keep it for parts or take off what you need (injectors and fuel rail) and sell the wheels for $150, the tranny for $350, and a few other things and a wrecker would probably give you $80 to $100 for the rest. Also a couple Wreckers were advertising a complete used engine for $500. There must be an online parts finder there where you could put in a request for the fuel rail and they search around all the wreckers in their network and come back to you with a price and location. This would save you time and you would be able to reach further. This is how I found my engine. I'm up in Vancouver Canada for reference.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:14 AM

It is the rail itself, the vehicle is presently stripped down in a Ford garage, who can offer no fix unless we come up with a replacement fuel rail ( as they have exhausted all their supply avenues).
We are down in Florida from Toronto and are not in a position to buy whole vehicles for breaking, or the means to go searching and stripping out engines (carless). We have been onto Ford Canada HQ who passed on their 'end of line' parts buyers, but none have a rail in stock.
The initial smell of gasoline started this 'rabbit hunt', we've got the rail out and the technician has pressure tested it, reporting that the fuel just 'leeched' out of one or several pinholes. We intended to give the rail to a radiator repair company for soldering but the rail is stainless so that is a non starter.
Unless we can find one 'off the shelf' from somewhere, it looks like scrapping the van and flying home.!!

Old 02-15-2018, 11:25 AM

That doesn't sound like fun. Stainless is weldable with a MIG or TIG Welder and most garages have the ability to weld it as many new exhaust systems are stainless. Try a muffler shop or a local welder if the garage that your van is in won't do it. The pinhole leaks must be along one of the welds on the rail and if it's in a small area, it could be a 30 minute job and get you back on the road.

Where do you live in Toronto as I'm originally from Ontario as well? How long did it take to drive down to Florida? My family and I drove down to Disneyland a few times back when I was a kid. How long are you in Florida for/when do you need to be back by?

Old 02-15-2018, 05:36 PM

lolmans34

I sent you a PM (Private Message) through this site.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: new engine vs newer car?