Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

new engine vs newer car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 11:17 PM
Angry Freestar fuel rail

Thanks for your PM Dab6 and sorry for my late reply, been busy fixing the fuel rail.
FORD Garage in Englewood FL were unable to offer a fix but would fit the part if repaired by a third party, obviously without any guarantee. We took the f'rail home put a charge of air into it, in a water bath, via the schrader valve, with all inlet /outlets 'plugged'.
The 1 pinhole responsible for all our woes showed up on the front rail topside. After a visit to NAPA to view all the possible epoxy compounds, we settled on PERMATEX 'Cold Weld' which is good for stainless and impervious to fuels and solvents and good temperature range. The epoxy was applied to a well cleaned, sanded area at the pinhole location and left to 'harden up'. Next day the water pressure test was repeated and all held firm @ 60psi for 15 mins.
The part was returned to the garage and fitted, tested OK to their standards and the engine reassembled and is now running as good as ever again.
The whole tear down and reassembly was $650, but when are "behind a rock" so to speak........let the vacation continue.
Just to thank Bay Ford of Englewood Fl.again, for their flexibility and interest in getting us back on the road.
Thanks for your interest Dab6, look after that spare rail, you just never know !!!..........as for FORD M.C......words fail me, a brilliant van discontinued, to be replaced by ?? NOTHING !!!

Old 02-18-2018, 11:32 AM

lolmans34
Glad to hear that you got it sorted. I used Permatex on my VW cold start injector as it was leaking and it worked out well but hesitated to suggest it as the Ford Dealer would not have thought it safe to use. I hope that the rest of your vacation goes smoothly.

Old 02-18-2018, 06:16 PM

Thanks Dab6, just as a point of interest, was this V6 4.2 litre engine used in any other vehicle apart from the Freestar and Monterey models???

Old 02-19-2018, 08:15 PM

I think the engines were only used in the Freestar and Monteray but I could be wrong. The fuel rail may have been standard across a few other models as well but knowing Ford, they probably switched parts manufacturers around that time and the designs are different. I'll reach out to my local Ford Used Parts company and see if they know.