Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

Picked up a Freestar

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 12:59 AM
Default Picked up a Freestar

I recently inherited an '04 Freestar SES w/ 254k mi. Body is still solid, had the transmission replaced a year or 2 ago. I'm going to replace the coil pack, wires, plugs, at least a couple of wheel bearings, fix the a/c in the spring, and replace a driver's window regulator and hope she'll keep running.

It has power locks and a red flashing light on the dashboard. Before I pick up an aftermarket keyless system, is there a way to find out if it had keyless entry from the factory and the remote was lost? And how simple is it to pick up a remote and program it, if so? For me, it's not worth the $300 or the dealer would charge to buy and program a key fob.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator

Seated and doors closed, cycle the ignition from OFF to ON (don't crank the engine) 8 times (ending in ON on the 8th time) within 10 seconds.
If equipped, the locks will cycle with a 'lock and unlock' confirming your in programming mode..

Old 10-01-2017, 11:18 PM

Thank you, worked like a charm. Time to pick up a remote.

Old 11-18-2017, 03:00 PM

Hey, Did you ever get it solved? I have a code U1059 that the ABS circuit is not communicating with the instrument cluster. Any ideas what specific problem that could be?

Old 11-18-2017, 09:59 PM

Littlehawk, I did pick up a remote from Amazon, this guy here.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00466V9..._prd_ttl_sol_0

Worked well, but the remote would lose its programming every few days and need to be reprogrammed. I ended up trashing it and I'll get a better one later.

I'm not sure about your code. From a quick google, I found that every different site I went to gave a different result for that code, everything from "A/C pressure too high," to "Replace your transmission." I get a "TRAC OFF" light, but I have a pretty bad grind from one wheel bearing and a pretty high squeal from another, so I'm going to attribute that (and cruise control not working) to bad wheel bearing sensors.

I replaced the window regulator, gave it new plugs, wires, and coil pack, new air, fuel, and cabin filters. I connected and replaced a few vacuum lines that had degraded and/or come disconnected over the years. Looking at these spark plugs, I can't believe it still ran at all!

https://imgur.com/a/VIXRz

Runs great now, only code I get is an intermittent P2195 (O2 sensor 1, bank 1 stuck lean). Reading up, it looks like I may still have a vacuum leak, but I would think that would cause more than 1 sensor to try to correct.

Anyone have ideas, besides changing the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets? I can do that, and I'm sure it probably needs done. I just really don't want to.

Last edited by MARTENEY1; 11-18-2017 at 10:02 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:40 AM

[QUOTE=MARTENEY1;105031]
Runs great now, only code I get is an intermittent P2195 (O2 sensor 1, bank 1 stuck lean).

MARTENEY1...I would get that code popped periodically for the past 8 years that I owned my Freestar (owned since new for 13 years). It was always the same code. I would just reset the code and keep on trucking. Never caused any drivability issues for me. Van had 193,000 miles on it when I sold it. It's still running with no issue for the new owners.

Old 11-20-2017, 10:23 AM

Use Common Sense, I found another small vacuum leak where the (newly replaced) line meets the PCV valve, it was slightly loose fitting. Put a hose clamp on it, and the code immediately went away. I'll keep an eye on it in the mean time.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:41 PM

Glad you found something...I even went as far as to smoke test mine and nothing ever showed itself...

Old 11-21-2017, 07:54 AM

call the dealer with the vin, they can tell you with asbuilt data if it came with keyless

Old 11-23-2017, 02:26 PM

speedOhead, I got the keyless straightened out, but thanks for the suggestion.

As far as the P2195 code, I think I figured it out. I had the same problem shown in this video. Put the rod back on (thankfully didn't have to take anything apart to get to it) and the code went away almost immediately. The rods for both cylinder banks were disconnected, but easy to get to. Unfortunately, the clip that holds it in place has been lost to the gods of oxidation. I'm going to try to source some, but anyone have suggestions?

edit: Found it. It's called an IMRC. Clips were $5 at Autozone for a 5 pack, part #47099

Last edited by MARTENEY1; 11-23-2017 at 02:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Picked up a Freestar