Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

Sliding door wont open

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 10:39 PM
Default Sliding door wont open

The rear electric door won't open, electrically, or manually..Pulled off the inside panels, 2 screws and a few clips..the linkages all seem ok and the latches release since the door pop's our about 1/2 an inch...Tried removin the fuse no change..door is jammed..i can close it..open electric or manual..but only 1/2 of an inch..i'm thinking i have a defective door latch mecanism..or something in the track has suddenly let go and it's stuck onto the latch...can't pull or push it open even with force..If i could actually see what is happening i'd know what parts to get..but it's stuck closed..

2004 Freestar Limited with 4.2L.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:06 AM

Have you removed the rear panel and check to ensure that the cable motor/assembly isn't bound/hung up?

Old 04-01-2010, 11:07 PM
Default Solution found..pesky manual gas door lock..

Ok finally found out that the gas door has a manual lock operated with a cable that when it breaks no longer allows you to open the drivers side sliding foor...remove rear fender well...pull the cable to release the lock...then remove the stupid thing all together...You would think they would make this electric or at least mention it in the Service Manual...Nooo..would have been easy to fix if it was mentionned somewhere that in addition to the sensor that prevents you from opening the door when the fuel door is open...there is a mechanical latch...

or should i say used to be a mechanical latch ...The ford service manual is not worth buying guys...the GM ones are much better..maybe the Hanes manual is better

Cheers

Old 04-02-2010, 10:51 AM

Glad you got it figured out. I never looked at mine and figured they used an electric switch for the fuel filler door to keep the slider from opening when fuleing. Go figure... It's just like them not saying that you have to operate your parking brake periodically to adjust the rear calipers so that they don't seize up and the rear brake maintain proper distance from the rotor for breaking...

Old 04-06-2013, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Freestar_2004_Owner
Ok finally found out that the gas door has a manual lock operated with a cable that when it breaks no longer allows you to open the drivers side sliding foor...remove rear fender well...pull the cable to release the lock...then remove the stupid thing all together...You would think they would make this electric or at least mention it in the Service Manual...Nooo..would have been easy to fix if it was mentionned somewhere that in addition to the sensor that prevents you from opening the door when the fuel door is open...there is a mechanical latch...

or should i say used to be a mechanical latch ...The ford service manual is not worth buying guys...the GM ones are much better..maybe the Hanes manual is better

Cheers
When you say remove the fender panel...do you mean from the inside? Mine just did this. before I attack this problem I just wanted to make sure I know what you mean by removing the fender panel. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Old 04-06-2013, 09:18 AM

If you look in the driver's side rear wheel well, you'll see a plastic cover to the front of the wheel well. This protects the filler neck and the switch from crud and debris. Remove the tire, a couple of screw and boby buttons and the cover will come off.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:02 AM

Great...thanks...going out to do it now.
Thanks for the help.

Old 04-06-2013, 02:13 PM

Great advice...easy fix...just disconnected the whole thing.

Old 06-21-2018, 05:59 PM

Is there a way to know for sure? Mine is doing this and it tries to open and "gets stuck".,looks like maybe a latch near the fuel take has it from moving back. I had just filled my gas tank ans directly after it would not open. Other door works. Afraid of what the dealership might charge.