Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

Starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2020, 09:18 AM
Default Starting issues

My 2004 Ford Freestar is still not starting. I replaced the alternator 5 months ago. Then I was driving and my fuel pump went. Fixed that. Thrn my starter went. Fixed that now it is still not starting it is getting no spark. Anyone else have this issue or know what the problem could be? It has gas, battery is charged.
thanks in advance

Old 02-06-2020, 11:30 AM

There could be many reasons for a vehicle not to start.
From what info you have supplied, Gather you are doing your own work, correct?
If you have a 2nd ign key, try the second key. Usually the starter will not operate if there is a anti-theft key problem for your vehicle.
Did you check all the fuses ? Can you give us some idea of what kind of test equip you have handy to use? Test lite- meter ?
We need to verify power is getting to the coils for the PCM to enable the spark. What is the anti-theft light doing when you attempt to start the engine ?
The check engine light should go out while you are cranking the engine attempting to start the vehicle. Does it?

Old 02-06-2020, 01:00 PM

I bought this second hand I only have one key
my husband has been working on it for weeks. Fuses are fine. Coils are fine. Spark plugs are fine. He does not have a 12 volt test system to see if there is spark below. Yet when I just tried to start it, the check engine light stayed on but the anti theft light was going crazy blinking! Is this something I should have him look into? Clearing the anti theft system? We do not generally take our vehicles to the shop unless it is necessary.
just curious what you mean about the check engine light going off when trying to start it would mean?
also what is the PMC?
Thank you and
Appreciate the insight and knowledge!

Originally Posted by hanky
There could be many reasons for a vehicle not to start.
From what info you have supplied, Gather you are doing your own work, correct?
If you have a 2nd ign key, try the second key. Usually the starter will not operate if there is a anti-theft key problem for your vehicle.
Did you check all the fuses ? Can you give us some idea of what kind of test equip you have handy to use? Test lite- meter ?
We need to verify power is getting to the coils for the PCM to enable the spark. What is the anti-theft light doing when you attempt to start the engine ?
The check engine light should go out while you are cranking the engine attempting to start the vehicle. Does it?

Last edited by Freestar04; 02-06-2020 at 01:45 PM.
Old 02-06-2020, 03:19 PM

ALWAYS, a good idea to have more than one key, why ?
1. coded keys can get corrupted/damaged where they will not be accepted by the vehicle security system and a second key can save the day..
2. If you have 2 working , coded, keys , you can code up to 8 yourself or else you have to pay a locksmtih or dealer
3. If you lose the remote keyless Fob or the only key you have, the extra key can save you some grief.....

The PCM (Powertrain Control Module ) is the main computer in the vehicle and it controls many operations
If the check engine lite stays on when cranking, it means the crank sensor or it's power or ground or wiring has a problem and the computer is not getting the signal to allow the engine to start.
The blinking anti-theft light is telling us something is wrong/ missing with the security system.

Old 02-09-2020, 07:49 PM

All of the dash lights are on when trying to start it. My battery is fully charged. The security light starts blinking crazy when I try to start it. It is a steady blink until the key is inserted. Found a article to try that says to put it in acc mode with the key and let it sit 10-15 minutes. Then to turn it back to off postion. Let it sit a couple more mintues then try to start it. I had no luck with this.
Someone had suggested getting a locksmith to make new key.
I am thinking this is what will have to happen if I want to keep it. It only has 95,000 miles on it.

Now where you say you can code up to eight yourself, are you suggesting to just have another key made and try that?
Thanks

Old 02-09-2020, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator

You need to have 2 programmed keys available in order to program your own off of the system..

Old 02-09-2020, 09:26 PM

So what you are saying is to even be able to try whst I did I would still need two keys in order for that to have worked? Sorry for seeming dull. I have just already been over two months without my vechile so I am just trying to gather all the information! Is this something you have experience with happeneing to you as well?
thank you for replying

Old 02-10-2020, 02:49 PM

A working coded key is one that will work to get the vehicle to start. Before you can code any keys for yourself you must have two that work and allow the vehicle to start.

The vehicle security system reads the code on the key then if programmed to your particular vehicle will pass the security requirement otherwise the vehicle will not start. The key(s) are programmed to your particular vehicle.
This is how Ford's security system is designed.
Supposedly no one without your programmed key would be able to start and steal your vehicle. You will need to have a dealership or certified locksmith come to your location and program an addl key. A locksmith can make a key for your vehicle where it is and has the necessary tools and clearance to make specific keys.
All this is dependent on if the security system is the problem that is preventing the vehicle from starting. It could be something else, but we need to eliminate that right at the beginning. Once you have 2 good keys you can buy the type key your vehicle uses and follow a procedure where you can code your own new keys.The locksmith will probably show you how to do that. You will still have to pay for the road service call. That is why we strongly recommend , IF YOU / ANYONE HAS ONLY ONE CODED WORKING KEY , DRIVE TO THE DEALER OR LOCKSMITH AND GET THAT SECOND KEY because if a situation like yours arises all that addl expense can be prevented.

Old 02-10-2020, 03:43 PM

Perfect well thank you very much! I suppose I will be calling a locksmith

Old 02-26-2020, 01:32 PM

So after 2 and 1/2 months of thinking I needed a locksmith to make a new key, I finally found out what is wrong with my van.
My husband is mechanical inclined and had fixed my fuel pump and starter. Thinking these were the issues it had.
A very nice locksmith came today and plugged in all his tools. He diagnosed that the issue was my PCM
power control module. This is going to throw your anit theft light into wacks as well as everything else!
My van was sounding and driving like a tractor just before this went out. This post is just for anyone who might under go a similar situation.
The estimated cost is about $1200 to fix this part that only a ford dealership can do.

Quick Reply: Starting issues