Ford Freestyle The new crossover, combining the versatility of an SUV with the compact size and feel of a station wagon.

Crank no Start afer a transmision swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 06:13 PM
Default Crank no Start afer a transmision swap

I bought a 2005 Freestar with a bad transmission. 1st gear was slipping, reverse was ok. Just enough 1st gear with jiggling the gear lever to drive itself off the trailer, around the house and up in the shop. So I installed a 9500# lift and then went to work on the van. It's a bear of a job even with a lift but I got the old one out and the new used one back in. I did break the head temp sensor wire but that is fixed and it is cranking over but won't start. I was hoping the open circuit from the head temperature sensor was keeping the computer from sending fuel because it does have something to do with fuel but that wasn't it. I checked the safety neutral switch to see that it is aligned. I have looked to see that I didn't forget to plug something in. I bought an OBDII scanner with fix assist and it reads ABS codes but there are no codes. I had the battery out for about a month working on this during weekends only which is probably why all codes are gone?

I am not much on these cars with computers. Is there something I need to do to reset the computer to marry a new transmission to it? It does not look all that difficult, although I struggled some. I got it all back together and cranking over. Does anybody have any tips for me, something I can check? It is almost as if it isn't getting fuel but it could be it isn't getting spark but all was well before I swapped the tranny and I removed the battery first off so I know I didn't short anything out. Ideas please? Thanks!

Also, after lowering the K frame, the steering column from the rack came out of the firewall from the intermediate shaft. I got it back together ok but not before reading that I should not allow the steering wheel to turn, before I got it back together after I already turned the wheel, or damage to the clock spring might occur. So I took the steering wheel off too. That was weird, turning a 7 mm nut some 30 turns and sure enough the wheel came off. I was careful. appears to be no damage. I have it all back together now but thought I should mention in case it has any influence on your reply. I hope somebody out there has an idea. I am totally stumped. Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Shadetree With a Lift; 02-22-2019 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Forgot to add an important detail...