Ford Fusion The next installation in the Ford sedan lineup not only joins as the new mid sized sedan, but also as the Ford entry for NASCAR.

06 Fusion transmission fluid type Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 01:35 PM
Default 06 Fusion transmission fluid type Please Help!

I have been jumping through hoops for a few days now trying to find the right transmission fluid for my mother-in-law's car (2006 Ford Fusion SE 4 cylinder 5sp FNR5 transmission).

Ford service department has told me that I should use Mercon V transmission fluid, yet their own site says not too (Click Here for link).

I found one quart of the recommended fluid (Ford Fluid XT-9-QMM5) at a local dealership but when he called for more we found it has been discontinued.

What is going on here?

Old 02-26-2018, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site..

Discountinued, shows to be an Interchange# in Motorcraft MOFXT5-OMC which lists XT-9-QMM5/XT-5-QM under Mercon V replacement. But does carry a warning against the FNR5. I don’t see a TSB on an interchange.. Maybe someone else will chime in.

The XT-9-QMM5 is still available on the net, eBay etc but price is following the availability. The other option may be fluids like Valvoline Maxlife etc. Seems some owners are using Mazda’s FNR5 lube 0000-77-112E-01 . Not sure on compatibility there per Ford..

Old 02-26-2018, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Hayapower
Seems some owners are using Mazda’s FNR5 lube 0000-77-112E-01 . Not sure on compatibility there per Ford..
Thank you for your quick reply. According to Mazda, this is a “Ford” transmission made during a time when Ford owned Mazda and only made for 3 years. They suggested I go to Ford for the fluid. According to Ford, the correct fluid for it is Mercon V even though the Motorcraft site states it is NOT the right fluid.

I feel safer going with your suggestion of Genuine Mazda 0000-77-112E-01 Transmission Fluid. I am hopeful the information found HERE is correct. If so, then this is what I will use.

Last edited by unclewick; 02-26-2018 at 11:41 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

The XT-9-QMM5 is still around at some of the parts vendors, even Rockauto has it for 8.16 a qt. Beats some of the scalpers pricing..

Old 02-27-2018, 11:04 AM

Rockauto has it for 8.16 a qt.
Your name is one I have come to trust over the years (read many of your postings) but this transmission has become a nuisance and I “need” to use the right fluid the first time. It has been a very long time since it has been changed and using the wrong fluid would cause an unforgiving situation.

I cannot believe Ford is putting the wrong transmission fluid in them.

While I would normally trust the recommendation of the dealership, this is obviously “bad information”. For myself, I would likely take the chance but not for my mother-in-law (she is a really good cook ).

I am hoping a Ford rep might chime in on this. I have “tweeted” them but I am unable to find an email. Going to the dealership just gets me someone reading a computer screen and NOT listening.

Old 02-27-2018, 11:05 AM

sorry if that double posts... i keep forgetting everything has to be approved before it goes up.

Old 02-27-2018, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

Just checked with Parts..

XT-9-QMM5 supersedes to XT-5 -QMC. Mercon V.
They also still had 17 qts of QMM5 in stock.. Parts was a miff on the MC warning and wanted your VIN to check specific fluid app to see if a bulletin comes up. (I didn’t see one) There would certainly be a bulletin release ( like Mercon V and its backward compatibility and the new service fluid to be used) authorizing the use, more so if the warning pops up..

But,, my suggestion would be to use what your comfortable with. Rockauto has the QMM5, some Ford parts still will, or ebay or ? It it’s out there, and Rock seems to be a good price if you want to remain with Motorcraft QMM5...

Old 02-28-2018, 07:04 AM
Default *SOLVED* 06 Fusion transmission fluid type Please Help!

but,, my suggestion would be to use what your comfortable with. Rockauto has the QMM5, some Ford parts still will, or ebay or ? It it’s out there, and Rock seems to be a good price if you want to remain with Motorcraft QMM5...
If it wasn't for the Motorcraft site specifically stating that Mercon V was NOT for use in the FNR5 transmission there would be no concern.
  • Not for use in applications where MERCON® SP, MERCON® LV, Continuously Variable Chain Type Transmission Fluid, Motorcraft® Premium Automatic Transmission Fluid, FNR5 Automatic Transmission Fluid or Type F Automatic Transmission Fluid is recommended
I am going with my gut and ordering from Rockauto. Thank you for your time on this and your suggestions.