Ford Fusion The next installation in the Ford sedan lineup not only joins as the new mid sized sedan, but also as the Ford entry for NASCAR.

2013 Fusion Battery Draw Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 09:42 AM
Default 2013 Fusion Battery Draw Issues

My wife bought a 2013 Fusion Labor Day weekend 2013 with the 2.5L 4cyl. We really like the car, however, we have an issue with the battery going dead after a period of 2-3 months.

Our first issue started when we left for family xmas vacation and we were gone for 5 days. The car was left in the garage with the keys out and all chargers removed from cig lighters etc. When we returned from our trip the battery was dead. The car had 5k miles on it at this time and was brought in for its first oil change and the service people said the battery was good.

A couple weeks later she noticed it was slower to turn over and also the message "battery saver" came on on the console if you tried listening to the radio after shutting vehicle off. We returned it back to dealer and they ordered a new battery stating it had a bad cell.

Fast forward a couple more months and we start having the same issue. Slow to turn over and "battery saver" on.

Since we have had the car new it has been in the shop 6 times for the same issue... 3 batteries have been replaced and each time they say the batteries had a bad cell?????

Some things we have noticed wrong with our car. The gear selection letters P-R-N-D-S stay on ALL the time when you have the keys in the ignition in the OFF position in our locked garage. Also the automatic windows do not work when you click them to return closed. They have to be reprogrammed all the time.

Our dealer has told us to leave the keys OUT of the vehicle even when it's in our locked garage at night stating this is the remedy. However, we did this and the battery still drained and had the same issues. The gear selection lights on the dash do go off when the keys are out, they may flash for a brief second, but very hard to catch it doing this...

The car is back at the dealer as I type this and they are "watching" it.. LOL.

Has anyone had this issue? The dealer is stating that ours is the only car having this issue. This is the 6th time it's been in and in 2 months will mark 1yr owning the car. I need to know what I can do as a customer who purchased a "lemon". ..... We have owned a 2003 F150, 2006 F150, 2009 Flex, and currently drive a 2012 F150. The 2012 I bought new and also this Fusion. Never had an issue with my truck with 42k on it now..

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-24-2014, 02:08 PM

There is a battery saver relay in your vehicle. It is controlled by one of the body modules. I would suspect the people that are checking your vehicle either don't know or may be dodging the issue. Since it is no longer covered by a new vehicle warranty , I would suggest you try a different Ford dealership.

Old 12-04-2016, 08:57 AM
Default Same issue

Hi, did you ever figure out what it was. I have this car and mines has the same issues.

Old 01-05-2018, 05:00 PM

I know this is old but it might help someone. Read the manual. It states, DO NOT leave spare key in car. Leaving a key in the ignition is no better. I belive that the car fails to shut down properly and actually thinks that you are going to start it.

Old 01-15-2020, 06:52 PM
Default 2013 Ford Fusion Battery

I keep getting a message on my dashboard that my battery is low to turn off audio to turn off engine. I have had this in the shop and they replaced my battery and it stills keeps happening. I don't have anything plugged into the outlets so I don't know what's going on. Help please.

Old 01-15-2020, 07:16 PM

Many times something is keeping one or more of the modules in the vehicle from going into "sleep mode". Sometimes this can take 45 minutes. The object is to pin down which module it is and why. This is a common problem these days with so many modules in a late model vehicle.There could be several reasons for something like this. A malfunctioning module , or something close by that might be preventing one or more modules from going into sleep mode.
Whenever a battery is replaced in a late model vehicle the computer needs to be notified of the change and if not and there is a problem within the charging system that may not be evident at the time of testing the computer doesn't know to alter or erase the former program and may not be charging enough . This can require some special testing to locate and correct. A good electric/electronic tech should be able to find and correct the problem. You may need to try another shop.

Old 01-25-2020, 03:40 AM
Default 2013 fusion battery drain

Originally Posted by Ryan Frost
I know this is old but it might help someone. Read the manual. It states, DO NOT leave spare key in car. Leaving a key in the ignition is no better. I belive that the car fails to shut down properly and actually thinks that you are going to start it.
I bought a used 2013 fusion less then a month ago and i am currently dealing with this problem..I suspect it was sold due to this issue as the battery went dead in a week and a half...call dealership for them to agree to ran diagnosis at no charge to only say...everything's fine it's the battery(the evening before after it was jump started I stopped at o'Reilly's and had it hooked up to battery tester which said battery was fine only for it to die again later the next day)...so replacement battery
..I almost immediately have battery saver come up on screen in car...assumed they reset something?? I had no idea what exactly that meant..this whole time car initially starts fine and over time is slower to start.....another week and a half passes...battery is completely dead...can't even get key fob to work to unlock doors or open trunk.found out the next day how to open door using key .we were able to jump start it finally after getting trunk open wth small jump starter battery...I let the car run for 20 to 30 minutes. During this time the door locks started going nuts for like 60-90 seconds clicking locked and unlocked.
and just for the record....my keys were never near the car unless I was in it.
I spoke to the dealership again and they said to bring it back and they would look at it no charge. I dropped it off first thing Tuesday morning and they will have it through the weekend. They still can't find the problem.i am afraid of conversation I will have on monday seeing as I haven't even made my first payment yet...
how can this be a known issue for 7 years and they still dont have a fix...

Old 01-25-2020, 04:25 AM

There is a special procedure for determining and locating parasitic drains. A lot of places and service people are not aware of this procedure and have difficulty pining it down.
Replacing the battery is a temporary fix until the new battery gets drained down again. You may need to find another shop that can deal with the problem and correct it.

Old 04-01-2020, 10:25 PM
Default Similar

Originally Posted by Sydney Rinehold
I bought a used 2013 fusion less then a month ago and i am currently dealing with this problem..I suspect it was sold due to this issue as the battery went dead in a week and a half...call dealership for them to agree to ran diagnosis at no charge to only say...everything's fine it's the battery(the evening before after it was jump started I stopped at o'Reilly's and had it hooked up to battery tester which said battery was fine only for it to die again later the next day)...so replacement battery
..I almost immediately have battery saver come up on screen in car...assumed they reset something?? I had no idea what exactly that meant..this whole time car initially starts fine and over time is slower to start.....another week and a half passes...battery is completely dead...can't even get key fob to work to unlock doors or open trunk.found out the next day how to open door using key .we were able to jump start it finally after getting trunk open wth small jump starter battery...I let the car run for 20 to 30 minutes. During this time the door locks started going nuts for like 60-90 seconds clicking locked and unlocked.
and just for the record....my keys were never near the car unless I was in it.
I spoke to the dealership again and they said to bring it back and they would look at it no charge. I dropped it off first thing Tuesday morning and they will have it through the weekend. They still can't find the problem.i am afraid of conversation I will have on monday seeing as I haven't even made my first payment yet...
how can this be a known issue for 7 years and they still dont have a fix...
Curious if you had any changes. A lot of these symptoms are similar to mine. Its been a while since my last haunting by door locks, but the car has been dead after not starting it for a few days.

Old 04-03-2020, 07:10 AM

With all the electronics in newer vehicles these days , yes, there are some pattern failures and some checking for bulletins helps, but the more features the vehicle has the more places for problems to develop. Unless you are fortunate enough to get a shop that is up to date on training , the problem is not found and corrected. Please let us know what was found and corrected,,,,,,,,,,if so, thanks.

Quick Reply: 2013 Fusion Battery Draw Issues