Ford Fusion The next installation in the Ford sedan lineup not only joins as the new mid sized sedan, but also as the Ford entry for NASCAR.

Random car alarm, flickering dash lights, no start

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 06:32 PM
Angry Random car alarm, flickering dash lights, no start

Hoping someone is able to help me! I have a 2010 Ford fusion sport, and I think it's possessed! Over the last few weeks my car alarm randomly goes off, and then my car won't start. On top of that my radio also turns on with out keys in the ignition and car off and locked. when this happens and I open the door it shuts off. However when you try to start the car the lights on the dash go crazy and there is no turn over. Disconnecting the battery several times, unlocking, relocking , setting alarm- repeatedly will eventually start the car, but at times it takes quite awhile of messing around to get the car to start.Have tried: new battery, new battery in key fab, checked all grounds, cleaned reconnected - all solid connections. There was also a rapid tick in the ecm relay, which only happened when the alarm went off at random Times and then after alarm would stop the rapid clicking would sometimes stop but not always- pulling the relay and reinserting worked every time. The relay was replaced, and still does it at random when the car decides to go crazy again. I simply cannot figure out this issue, I wish I could post a video of what happens! Please help

Last edited by Lindslatray; 02-10-2018 at 06:47 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:05 AM

Electronics are great when they work as designed, however, when those electrons get loose it can be quite a chore to pin down. It appears at least 2 modules are being affected like the security module and the body control module. This will require a capable scan tool to check and monitor what is going on to affect these modules. Something is activating the relay and holding it energized and the special tool will be required to check the systems. This will also require a schematic diagram of the systems to determine what is on the network and what those modules are doing.

Old 02-11-2018, 11:43 AM

Thanks for your reply, I have a shop I am taking the car to tomorrow to have them plug in some special machine which I'm sure is the same thing you are talking about. I already had the emissions tested at advanced and all was good, but apparently this is some other tool- if I can get the car to start to get it there!

Old 02-11-2018, 12:26 PM

Just a little side note, believe it or not that special machine is the person operating and examining the info the tool provides. We often don't give credit where it is due. Please let us know how you make out with the problem, thanks.