Ford Mustang For over 50 years, the Mustang name has stood for affordable industry leading performance with its powerful V8 Ford Mustang engines and sporty lines.

Going faster

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 08:56 PM
Default Going faster

I have a 1970 mustang with a decent 302. I am trying to make a weekend runner, not a daily driver so far ive ported and polished the heads have a 650cfm carb aluminum intake, and headers back 3" duals with lakeside pipes. I am currently getting my trans built up, and wondering on a suggestion for my rear, and or just make my baby faster and suggestions on what to do next would be great thanks

Old 10-16-2008, 01:19 PM
Default RE: Going faster

373 and up gears for the rear will give it some good take-off.

Old 12-04-2008, 05:43 PM

4:10 gear and an 8.8 rear end. to get you taking off good. Definitely going to need some good slicks.
a stroker kit 331 or 347 are both great and will give you a lot more pep.
there are several things you can do, it all depends on what you are wanting the car to do....
Are you wanting a straight up drag car or just a weekend warrior?

Old 12-29-2008, 12:25 AM

At any rate - if you want the engine to safely handle the bigger carb. you should have a main girdle installed or four-bolt mains machined in. The extra power will be handled better this way. Also - rocker girdles and tall valve covers (if you can fit them) will help distribute pushrod and rocker arm stress. Trans. (if automatic) I believe Speedway Motors had been selling higher performance Ford transmission components (to handle the engine). Last - rear - gears: lower - faster to start and dead at high speed higher - sucks to start but high speed (top end) is there. I liked the low rears for mid-town traffic - It's fun to pull the front wheels up off the ground (of course even that has risks without separated rear e-brake cables and levers for directional control *hint). I would stiffen my rear suspension a touch to eliminate any rear wheel hop.That about sums it up. Driveshaft (among other parts) balancing is critical to output power. If it's rusty and lost it's balance at speed get a new tube on. Tires - that goes without saying - but crappy treads are for showing off - keep a good set for speed. No use burning off tires that cost 300 to 500 dollars each unless they're a stiff compound.