Ford Mustang For over 50 years, the Mustang name has stood for affordable industry leading performance with its powerful V8 Ford Mustang engines and sporty lines.

Possible bad fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 11:47 PM
Default Possible bad fuel pump?

A little backstory, I've this car less than a week. Someone before me tried to wire a push switch and did it wrong so ive got to turn the key on, get out, and bridge the solenoid with a screwdriver. Its an 88 mustang gt with a 302 and a 3 speed auto tranny. I shut it off yesterday and when I went to leave it wouldn't start, it was low on gas for I figured it was out, no big deal...I put a gallon in it today so I can get the push button wired right and it still wouldn't start. I dump some fuel in the carb and it fired long enough to burn that and it dies again. I had it started twice but it idled high, around 1500 rpm before it died. Where the relay should be and it's not there only what I'm guessing it plugs into. Got the fuse box diagram online but couldn't find the fuse, abd i tried listening for the fuel pump to kick on when the key is turned over but sure how that works if I have to jump the solenoid to start it. The wiring in this thing is crazy. Everything seems to be "safe", but its cluttered and just kind of all over the place. I'm gonna try to find the time to get a huge to check the fuel pressure on the motor tomorrow, but in the mean time I'm trying to get feedback from others with far more experience than I have.