Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

1994 4x4 3.0 requires a lot of gas to start on a hill.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2022, 06:06 AM
Default 1994 4x4 3.0 requires a lot of gas to start on a hill.

I just put a new clutch in a friends 1994 ranger. She bought it with the clutch already in bad shape. She is telling me that when starting on a hill she needs to nearly floor the gas before it'll go. The clutch feels fine though. It has a hydraulic clutch. I did bleed it. Any ideas or is this normal for this particular model?

Old 03-04-2022, 08:08 AM

The Vulcan 6 should have plenty of pep to easily manage hills. I am going to assume your friend is familiar with driving a stick shift. If the engine is revving higher than it should and the truck is moving extremely slow, I would believe the clutch could be slipping. How does the Ranger behave on the freeway? If the new clutch checks ok, perhaps a tune up (plugs, wires etc.) is in order along with a fuel filter. Fuel pressure should be 30-45 psi. Make sure a simple brake drag doesn't exist.

Last edited by raski; 03-04-2022 at 08:12 AM.
Old 03-04-2022, 09:54 AM

How much free ply is presently in the clutch pedal?

Old 03-05-2022, 03:56 AM

A hydraulic clutch is self adjusting. Nothing can be done in regards to free play.

Old 03-05-2022, 05:39 AM

If it is self adjusting could you please explain how it does that?

Old 03-05-2022, 05:56 AM

The clutch seems fine in every other way except starting on hills. My first thought was fuel filter. But I figured I'd ask here before throwing more time at this truck. And sorry about the time between my posts. I worked all day and then it was Friday night.

Old 03-05-2022, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
If it is self adjusting could you please explain how it does that?
Because it is hydraulic and not cable/ linkage operated.What are you going to adjust? There isn't any adjustment on my truck.

Last edited by raski; 03-05-2022 at 07:34 AM.
Old 03-05-2022, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by becksterorange
The clutch seems fine in every other way except starting on hills. My first thought was fuel filter. But I figured I'd ask here before throwing more time at this truck. And sorry about the time between my posts. I worked all day and then it was Friday night.
A fuel filter is inexpensive and a regular maintenance item.They often will begin to show a problem during extreme engine demands. It may not be your problem but for less than ten dollars, it's worth replacing.

Old 03-05-2022, 07:38 AM

I would think if the engine revs up fine when she depresses the accelerator pedal the engine is doing it's job.
If, however, the engine is revving and the vehicle is not responding that tells us the clutch could be slipping.And why would that be?
If the release bearing , whether hydraulic or mechanical, is not allowing the pressure plate to put full pressure on the disc, THE CLUTCH WILL SLIP.
Why would it not be allowing the pressure plate to apply full pressure?
Most likely because the release bearing is exerting pressure on the pressure plate fingers preventing the plate from totally compressing the disc against the flywheel.
Since it is a hydraulic clutch and the distance the clutch master cyl travels determines how far the slave cyl travels the only thing that is adjustable is the distance that master cyl travels and that is controlled by the distance the pedal can travel which is also not adjustable. But the rod that the clutch pedal pushes into the master cyl is usually adjustable.That is how you guaranty the clutch can exert full pressure on the disc.
It must allow the release bearing to retract fully from the pressure plate fingers and there MUST be clearance between the release bearing and the fingers when theclutch pedal is all the way up. That clearance is called free ply.

Old 03-05-2022, 09:43 AM

I know all that. With a hydraulically actuated clutch, there is no free play adjustment. I confirmed it from my FSM. If you know how, share it with us. I don't need to know what free play is.
If the master cylinder is replaced, the push rod length might have to be adjusted. It is not specified when replacing the clutch assy.

Last edited by raski; 03-05-2022 at 09:47 AM.

Quick Reply: 1994 4x4 3.0 requires a lot of gas to start on a hill.