Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

help 86 ranger

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 02:09 PM
Default help 86 ranger

i have a 1986 ford ranger v6 2.9 fuel injected when u start it up it wont start unless u spray starter fluied up the throttle body i have changed the fuel pressure regulator but no luck t realy runs great after started i drive it every day. Some one please help

Old 02-03-2006, 05:43 PM
Default RE: help 86 ranger

You may have run into a problem there. Most of the time, you don't need to use starter fluid into the carberator. It helps to start it, but an engine will become dependent on it. I'm not sure what you can do to fix it, but you need to keep from doing it in the future. You may try an octane booster in your fuel to try and break the motor from needing the starter fluid.

Old 02-20-2006, 09:23 PM
jdm
Default RE: help 86 ranger

you might want to check your fuel filter, it's on inside of the drivers side frame rail pretty much right underneath the driver, that may be a little on the used side, the regulator is always a good idea, and i doubt that it's the problem but it could also be the fuel pump, i remember on my old 89 i replaced the whole fuel system and all it was, was a fuse under the hood, you could probably check that too, its in the fuse box under the hood on the inner fender on the passenger side, but i'm still thinking that its the filter