Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

2001 starts, runs, then shuts off immediately?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 01:32 AM
Default 2001 starts, runs, then shuts off immediately?

First of all I'd like to say hello since I am new to this site as of tonight. But, it's not on good terms. Last year I purchased a 2001 Ford Ranger XLT4x2 V6 3.0L 48,000 miles,in perfect shape. I haven't had any problems until the last 6 months I have noticed the check engine light was on. Ok, while at Valvoline, the checked it and said it was a EGR code and that it might have been just an O2 sensor problem, something minor. So they just shut it off. Well it popped back on and I just figured I'd leave it alone. Maybe a mistake.

6 months later...

So driving down the roadtoday the dang thing just quit and shut off? No warning, just everything shut off. It happened 3 more times...Then tonight, driving down the highway it shut off again, no warning? Happened 3-5 more times, couldn't make it home, called and had it towed to my apartment. $30 bucks later, at least my truck is at home. So the problem is... it won't stay running, and it just shuts off all of a sudden? It starts fine, drives fine, but unbeknownst to me it will just shut off, 1 minute later, 5 minutes later, it doesn't keep a pattern...It could be a million things I guess, but I'm not really able to pin point any exact locations. It's not making any funny noises, nothing fishy, but won't stay running. It's doesn't seem to be hurting for gas, it has 1/2 tank, no gurgling noise...

It's Saturday night and my Girlfriend's and I only transportation....So we have no vehicle until we can get this fixed, given that sunday no one will be open...we're playing it by ear. I appreciate all help with this matter, honestly. Thankyou for you help.

Old 03-25-2007, 01:53 AM
Default RE: 2001 starts, runs, then shuts off immediately?

Could be a bad catalytic converter. When it's cold start it and immediately go back and grip your hand over the tailpipe. If your hand isNOT blown off easily it could be the converter.

Old 03-25-2007, 05:00 PM

blew my hand right off...lol...thinking computer related...

Old 03-26-2007, 01:21 PM

If you had an EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) code It likely means that something in that system is bad. Start by looking for a bad hose on the intake, then look for a bad or dirty EGR valve. It could also be a dirty fuel filter - check intake fuel pressure - look for a dropjust beforeit shuts down.

Old 04-14-2007, 01:53 AM

Solved:
1) Crank Shaft Sensor
+
2) Dfpe Sensor (egr)
=
SHUT OFF, lol
It was a cocktail, got the crank shaft sensor replaced and it wouldn't do it as often, but it did do it occassionally, changed the dfpe sensor and it has yet to do it! Driven 200 miles perfectly.

Old 04-19-2007, 02:05 AM

sounds like the problem i have. if i run my 94 ranger a bit or if its hot outside, i can crank it, the engine runs hard a bit, the voltage guage dropsand sometimes it cuts off, not too often, but often enough. i changed the converter, plugs, battery, terminals, etc... your fix sounds like it might fix mine too! iwill try it and let ya know