Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

87 Bronco II OD

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2022, 10:17 PM
Default 87 Bronco II OD

My 87 Bronco II with Overdrive WONT take off IN OD, BUT once i get ta 55 i can SHIFT manually into Overdrive and its PERFECT, BUT Coming to a STOP, if i dont downshift to DRIVE it goes into NEUTRAL, any ideas? Really appreciate it everyone! jim in NC

Old 04-06-2022, 03:59 AM

I would first verify proper fluid level. Pull the vacuum line off the externally mounted vacuum modulator diaphram. Make sure the vacuum line is ok for the vacuum modulator. If fluid comes out after pulling the vacuum line off, replace the modudulator.. If that all checks ok,there could be a faulty 3-4 shift solenoid, that is inside the transmission. I would do a transmission service, fluid, filter change and band(s) adjustment as well.. Drop the pan, look for anything unusual on the pan's bottom.If you are savvy, you could change the solenoid as they are not expensive, reassemble and test. If these do not fix your problem, you are likely looking at a more extensive repair or overhaul. The A4LD transmission was not very good as far as being reliable, so there are many possibilities that can cause issues.

Old 04-06-2022, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by raski
I would first verify proper fluid level. Pull the vacuum line off the externally mounted vacuum modulator diaphram. Make sure the vacuum line is ok for the vacuum modulator. If fluid comes out after pulling the vacuum line off, replace the modudulator.. If that all checks ok,there could be a faulty 3-4 shift solenoid, that is inside the transmission. I would do a transmission service, fluid, filter change and band(s) adjustment as well.. Drop the pan, look for anything unusual on the pan's bottom.If you are savvy, you could change the solenoid as they are not expensive, reassemble and test. If these do not fix your problem, you are likely looking at a more extensive repair or overhaul. The A4LD transmission was not very good as far as being reliable, so there are many possibilities that can cause issues.
Thank you SO much for taking time to help! I will address this asap! Cheers! Jim in NC