Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

91 ranger tranny situation.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:44 AM
Thumbs down 91 ranger tranny situation.

I have a 2wd automatic A4ld, I had a shifting problem, it would'nt go from 1st to 2nd. I replaced the Governor and the Intermediate Servo, and its been running fine for the last month or two.
When the above problem first started I had backed it out of my spot and put it in drive then I heard a grinding or clunking sound , I thought it was the driveshaft. I parked it checked the d-shaft and did'nt feel no play in the u-joints, so I started it back up and put it in reverse, it enguaged but would not move, even in nutrual, it would push forward but not back, brakes were new and ok. I did'nt think it was the linkage because it would go into gear when selected, I did have drive, but I was up to a wall and could'nt move.
About an hour later I tried reverse again and reved it and it started to move. after that , is when I had the shifting problem, so I replaced the fluid and screen again,( I had done that about a month before), and the gov and servo, and checked linkage.
Now the other day it kicked into reverse a little hard, (idle was only at 7-800) and when put in drive it sounded like the drive shaft again. then later it was ok. Have no money at this time, any ideas!!